Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 132 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Cloth Seats Stink but Great Truck
By DWW

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Have had this pickup over a year now and has been flawless! The fuel mileage is great with the 5.3 and the engine goes like scat. Have gotten over 20mpg several times on trips. Do wish the AFM would stay in the V-4 mode longer,it kicks out way too easy.The cloth seats are another matter. Everything sticks to them like flypaper. If I had known this I would have gotten leather.

The dash is very well designed and easy to use. The fit and finish is great. Big improvement over my 04.

Chevy please change the cloth seat material. Have to clean them weekly for lint removal.

everything i expected!
By dtown

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

After owning this truck for a year and a half now, I am even more impressed. If you could close your eyes while driving you would not even know you were in a truck. It is so comfortable to drive, even for long distance trips. I have back problems and have had no problems when driving this truck. A little extra lumbar support would be Nice. What they have helps but it could be better. I love the interior except I would have liked more cup holders like everyone else. The stock tires tend to spin on wet roads and I plan on buying better tires when I can afford to. Had a couple if interior noises. Onstar is awesome. 18-21 mpg. I find onstar monthly reports to be helpful. Over all I am very happy.

Onstar is awesome. If I knew I was gonna keep the onstar I would have gotten power Windows and locks!

Find a way to have the v-6 get better mpg than the v-8. Still cant figure out how they can be the same.

Fixed What I Didn't Like
By ktn

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an '08 Silverado 4x4 with the 4.8 V8 in January '09 when Chevy couldn't give a truck away. Got a great price. Overall love the truck, except the front clearance for a 4x4. Cracked the license plate frame the first week crossing a frozen creek. Ended up adding a 4 inch Rancho lift and it handles even better with a better ride and turning radius. The approach and departure angles along with articulation is infinitely better. Highly recommended if you are actually going to take it off road. I got 21-22 MPG on the highway before the lift and adding 33 inch mud tires. Now about 18, still great for what it is. Stock tires were useless offroad. Other complaint: stock skid plates are plastic.

Interior well laid out. MPG+power combo, reliable, comfortable, does what I ask it to do. Drives really really well, now have 23,000 miles on it and it has been bulletproof reliable. Well put together, tows very well. Good daily driver/hauler and now a very good offroad vehicle. Love XM and heater.

Plastic skid plates?? Terrible stock approach angles for a 4x4, terrible. Stock Goodyear tires were worthless offroad. Cannot tell if the locker (G80) is ever actually doing anything.

update on a great truck
By jpr

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I posted here previously, and now have 2 years on the truck. Only problem was a rattle in exhaust that happened in cold weather. GM replaced the converter and back tailpipe, the best warranty experience I have had. Leer canopy did not increase mileage, but still getting around 20 mpg highway, 18 town. General Ameritrac tires are poor at best. Drove truck on Alcan highway with full load, and it performed great. Love the steering and suspension even on a full load with 55mph tundra waves. Need posi-traction on slick surfaces such as snow, rain or loose gravel. Get it on the 2WD. Overall, this is the best truck I have owned. A great value.

performance as a truck. Looks great with canopy, hood deflector/window shades, and Bully bars. 20" or 22" wheels make it look "Cool". I can't afford cool. Driving comfort (I am 6'1" 250 lbs) and find the truck very comfortable. LUV the automatic lights....very safe feature in Alaska.

Improve the gas mileage on the 6 cyl. Get seat covers, as the stock tend to ball up lint. Easier access to air filter. Locking gas cap. Bigger sun visors on drivers side.

Still running great and smooth
By billboo80

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I was a little worried about the tires that came with it, but they held up surprisingly well a year later. Leather seating and comfort allows us to take lengthy trips exceeding 6 -9 hours without aches/pains.Initial flapping noise at 60 mph was found to be front windshield plastic trim. We got it replaced. Oh yeah, there is this little thing called GM driveline lash, where there is slop in the differential, between the ring and pinion gears, so you hear a clunk when starting forward after a stop. GM says its normal...I'll keep checking.

Cab allows full view over the hood. 5.3L engine has good power and acceleration. Towed a 5000 lb trailer and felt no engine strain in the slightest. Low road noise, so I could carry on a nice conversation. Dual zone AC is NICE!!

Redesign the spline and pinion gear assembly to take care of that clunking effect.