2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Sort Reviews by

Love It!
By Fred

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck. Fit and finish excellent and have received many compliments in the short period I have owned it. All aspects of the vehicle top shelf and the best in any pickup I have owned. (5 so far) Gas mileage about 16.8 around town which what I was getting in my SUV. Example of great American engineering..Chevrolet

Favorite Features

Looks, fit and finish, ride, and overall truck performance.

Suggested Improvements

The auto climate controls a little dainty, could be a little more manly

Love this truck!
By GLG3

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am very impressed with not only the look of this truck, but the way it performs. I've only had it a few weeks and had many compliments on it. This could be the best truck purchase I have ever made.

Favorite Features

The back doors on the extended cabs open 180 degrees. This is very convenient for people with children. The load management system is nice also.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure there is room for improvement, but I can't think of anything right now.

Quality truck
By tammy

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Family is real happy with the new truck, looks sharp and has a nicer ride than a car. Plenty of room even for the family. I like the extended doors. Truck gets great gas mileage compared to other trucks in its class. An all around solid truck.

Favorite Features

OnStar, XM satellite radio.

2008 5.3L Z71 Regular Cab LT1
By MiYow

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 Regular Cab Z71, 5.3L V8, Flex Fuel and AFM, 3.42 gears and all of the interior trimmings you can get. I got an amazing deal, $7500 cash back! I cannot even begin to explain how great this truck is. I love it! It's so sharp and the drive is so smooth and turning radius is very tight. I am so glad that I bought this truck. The secret to the AFM is to use the V8 to get to your speed (55 to 65 is the "sweet spot"), let off the gas slightly until the V4 kicks in then gently back on the gas and hold it to the next hill and repeat. You will see that you maintain the same speed and get 40+ MPG expressway. Learn when to get off it.

Favorite Features

This whole truck is just beautiful. I love all of the LT1 Convenience features like the steering wheel controls, the remote starter, under seat storage, playing with the AFM, it's huge inside too for 2 door. I am learning how to be gingerly, she's very touchy - brakes, gas pedal, steering, be easy.

Suggested Improvements

The rear end breaks loose so easy that I am a little scared of pulling out too fast. You get better MPG if you go to your speed and then let off, instead of trying to be slow like a grandpa (it stays in V8 if you grandpa it = bad). I think my rear wheels need to be balanced, pretty wobbly at 20 MPH!

Had my last Ford
By macvette

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The last 3 trucks I have bought have been Fords. I used to drive Chevys but for some reason I bought a few Fords. The last was 07 F250 4x4 and that was the worst riding truck I have ever owned, anyway I bought the 1500 LTZ and so far I am very happy. The ride and drive are extremely good for my application. The fuel management I don't understand, sitting at a red light it runs on all cyclinders, I thought this would be a great time to save fuel. Overall I am pleased so far, but have less than 1000 miles.

Favorite Features

Heated bucket seats, power rear sliding window

Suggested Improvements

Improved fuel economy, locking tailgate

08 Silverado W/T Base
By Jim

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Wanted a base longbed truck for basic transportation- prices have dropped as dealers have a glut of these trucks. Very happy with performance, satisfied with price. Gas mileage is running less than my 05 W/T, which I expected. Overall, it gets lots of compliments.

Favorite Features

Styling and ride

Suggested Improvements

Go back to chrome on front end- black W/T trim looks cheap.

Replaced my old Chevy Pickup
By Steve

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just bought this truck to replace my 15 year old Chevy Silverado half-ton pickup. Got the LT1 package with 5.3L V8. First trip had 19 mpg with combined city and highway. In just the city, it seems to only get about 11 mpg. The truck is very quiet and rides well. So far, I'm quite pleased. Pricing was good in Sept with the GM employee discount and additional 5K discount. Also got $1800 off with my GM card savings and I qualified for an additional GM company card bonus of $500. Every little bit helps in this crazy economy!

Favorite Features

Driver Information Center (DIC), wide opening rear doors, quiet, good power, good sound system, seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

By reading other reviews, I avoided lint gathering seat fabrics

08 Silverado W/T Base
By 2doorpost

$18380 MSRP base no a/c truck,longbed. Absolutely no options. Great ride and performance over my 05 Silverado. Uses a little more gas but comfort level and ride worth the trade off.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Went back to the black front end on the W/T. Looks cheesy. Needs chrome like its GMC cousin.

A tad disapointed in this one
By Jim

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Nice design of the new body style. Very comfortable as well. But, why oh why has GM made the 1/2 ton trucks so low to the ground. Had to put a 2.5" leveling kit in the front to take that nose dive out of the front end. Also, they made a change in the steering that is way too responsive. The slightest little movement and you're going off into the next lane which does get very scarry with any hiway traffic. They put the radio controls a little out of reach so changing the station on the radio has become a frightening situation. The old steering response in my 2002 2500HD was great and a more relaxing drive. Now it's more of a stressed drive than before. Why can't a good thing be left alone.

Favorite Features

The 5.3 is a very peppy engine and the fuel economy is not as good as GM boasts but 17 combined in a pickup truck I can't complain about.

Suggested Improvements

Stop messing with a good thing. Bring back the height that we guys look for in a "truck" and stop trying to make a truck drive like a Ferrari

Chevy finally delivers
By Chevy Lover Again

Born into a "Bow Tie" only family and being the first to purchase a Honda due to lack of confidence in any American segment, I can now honestly say, Chevy has learned! I feel confident in the truck's performance, comfortable with better build qualities inside, and safe. 15000mi and not a problem (Honda CR-V blew up its A/C unit at 14000 and power window problems never stopped). OnStar is a great feature I feel should be on every car, not just GM (needs to be cheaper). Rear-ended by a Camry (crushed its front end, nothing to the truck) and an F-150 (crushed its front end and fender, bumper damage to my truck). Best fuel mileage for a 5.3L compared to others. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Quiet inside but beautiful exhaust note from the factory outside. Interior layout. Looks sexy but tough. Girlfriend is afraid to drive it. Good fuel economy (comparatively speaking - it is still a truck) 14/19 sticker but more like 14.5/22 actual when driven conservatively.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter turn radius. Active Fuel Management is great but could use some finer tuning. I'm in V-8 mode an aweful lot getting only 2mpgs higher than the Ford equivalent. I think it could be a little better.