Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Great Truck
By Dexter

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Silverado performs very well. After two years of ownership, no problems to note. Great power with the 5.3. A six speed trany would have been nice, but four speed is tried and true. No problems pulling our 6000 lb boat. Locking rear dif. is the best on the market. Overall a very nice and capable truck.

Favorite Features

Best gas mileage of any other full size. Navigation. Back up sensors. Flip up back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Replace wood grain with polished aluminum. Larger glove box and more in cab storage.

2008 chevy silverado
By kstyle

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

After have this truck for a year and with over 11k on the truck the mpg has not improved. I am at best getting 15 mpg and I am light on the foot. I thought this would be a great truck but I just feel that chevy is too cheap to redesign the transmission and adding more power to the engine.

Favorite Features

I added my own now. ipod stero, line x bed liner, tonnue cover, and dual exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

mpg, interior needs an upgrade and not so cheep paint.

Cloth Seats Stink but Great Truck
By DWW

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Have had this pickup over a year now and has been flawless! The fuel mileage is great with the 5.3 and the engine goes like scat. Have gotten over 20mpg several times on trips. Do wish the AFM would stay in the V-4 mode longer,it kicks out way too easy.The cloth seats are another matter. Everything sticks to them like flypaper. If I had known this I would have gotten leather.

Favorite Features

The dash is very well designed and easy to use. The fit and finish is great. Big improvement over my 04.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy please change the cloth seat material. Have to clean them weekly for lint removal.

everything i expected!
By dtown

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

After owning this truck for a year and a half now, I am even more impressed. If you could close your eyes while driving you would not even know you were in a truck. It is so comfortable to drive, even for long distance trips. I have back problems and have had no problems when driving this truck. A little extra lumbar support would be Nice. What they have helps but it could be better. I love the interior except I would have liked more cup holders like everyone else. The stock tires tend to spin on wet roads and I plan on buying better tires when I can afford to. Had a couple if interior noises. Onstar is awesome. 18-21 mpg. I find onstar monthly reports to be helpful. Over all I am very happy.

Favorite Features

Onstar is awesome. If I knew I was gonna keep the onstar I would have gotten power Windows and locks!

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to have the v-6 get better mpg than the v-8. Still cant figure out how they can be the same.

Fixed What I Didn't Like
By ktn

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an '08 Silverado 4x4 with the 4.8 V8 in January '09 when Chevy couldn't give a truck away. Got a great price. Overall love the truck, except the front clearance for a 4x4. Cracked the license plate frame the first week crossing a frozen creek. Ended up adding a 4 inch Rancho lift and it handles even better with a better ride and turning radius. The approach and departure angles along with articulation is infinitely better. Highly recommended if you are actually going to take it off road. I got 21-22 MPG on the highway before the lift and adding 33 inch mud tires. Now about 18, still great for what it is. Stock tires were useless offroad. Other complaint: stock skid plates are plastic.

Favorite Features

Interior well laid out. MPG+power combo, reliable, comfortable, does what I ask it to do. Drives really really well, now have 23,000 miles on it and it has been bulletproof reliable. Well put together, tows very well. Good daily driver/hauler and now a very good offroad vehicle. Love XM and heater.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic skid plates?? Terrible stock approach angles for a 4x4, terrible. Stock Goodyear tires were worthless offroad. Cannot tell if the locker (G80) is ever actually doing anything.