2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Very Disappointed
By GP on 07/30/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As much as I like the ride, comfort, power and gas mileage of this vehicle, its extremely unreliable. In the past 6 weeks, I've had the vehicle in the shop 4 times (14 days total) for various problems that have required major work on the transmission and engine. I have had various other problems with the transmission and drivetrain in the past that the dealership has not been able to fix, or refused to fix under warranty. Am done buying GM products!

Extremely Disappointed
By GP on 07/30/10 08:17 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, for all the good attributes this truck has, power, performance, comfort, gas mileage for a big car, it's an extremely unreliable vehicle. I've had it at the dealership 4 times in the last 6 weeks for various issues that have required major repair. Fortunately, I found a good dealership that has made the repairs under warranty. The selling dealership was horrible. Along with all the other problems I've had in the past, I could never recommend this vehicle. The other funny thing is that some things that one dealerships says is covered under warranty is not at another dealership.

Pile of Garbage!
By hacks on 07/27/10 07:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As much as I like this vehicle for its performance, styling, and comfort, the reliability is absolutely horrible. In a recent 5 week span, I've had it in the shop 4 times, once to have a valve replaced, twice for major transmission work that involved its removal, and twice for fuel injection problems. This does not include the cracked transmission cooler, Belt Tensioner, body molding, and numerous Slip Yoke problems I have had with it. And the service at the selling dealership has been equally as horrible, and I caught them billing GM for work they did not perform. Needless to say, I filed a Lemon Law Claim last February on the vehicle. Absolutely would not recommend this vehicle.

2008 silverado 1500
By richr on 07/08/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Overall a great truck, there are a few problems though. Glad I got the extended warranty. Just under 60k and it stopped running with reduced engine power code. Five months later just over 60k stopped running again same code. Both times dealer could not find a problem, reset computer and gave it back. Have a thumping in trans or rear end, cant find that either. The passengers side door lock no longer works by the power switch. Great gas mileage, 22 mpg hwy. Great power when running.

Great Garage Queen
By prsncat on 04/29/10 21:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Parked it when gas reached $4/gal. due to poor gas mileage. Love the way it drives now that it has an ARE shell (weight on the tail helps). Great for towing. Always reliable - no problems whatsoever. Cloth seat material is a PITA -- I put Wet Okole seat covers in the first month. It didn't hold its value -- I tried selling for $12.5K and didn't get a single call. I will resume driving it daily when the Honda Civic lease ends.

Chevy work truck
By Ken on 04/13/10 05:14 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The Rebate back in 2008 was the main selling point. I have been very satisfied with the performance and reliability of the Chevy. The only setback so far was that the battery died on me after about a year of service. I would not recommend the Ext cab with small rear doors, when parking in a lot, next to other cars, the doors extend to far out and you cannot open them, and if they don't open all the way to 180 degrees they will close by themselves, usually pinching your legs if your leaning in the back. I have the 6 cylinder and wish the MPG were better. The rear suspension holds the bed very high & makes it difficult to reach in. If rear seat could be removed it would be a nice feature

Truck
By Strick on 03/27/10 10:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck all around. Def gas mileage upgrade to my 05 Hemi. Looks interior and exterior are awesome. Lots of great features. Remote start. All kinds of bells and whistles. Only one problem a little thing called a driveline clunk. Such a new problem on a new truck dealership didn't know what to do initially. But now its fixed. Other than that couldn't ask for more. The back doors are sick due to the 180 opening. back windows roll down. Chevrolet def made some up grades.

still owning Chevy`s
By Jim & Norma on 03/20/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is excellent! We've owned about a dozen new and used Chevy pickups in the last 25yrs. They just keep getting better! We like the new hood style. The ride is extremely smooth and comfortable. Visibility out all windows is great. This truck rides more like a car. I would have to say this is probably the best used pickup "so far".

Nice truck from GM
By chen on 03/18/10 13:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

before i bought this truck i test drive a new tundra and the tundra is very bumpy, but this Silverado rides smooth and i can't even hear the wind on the window. i love the leather design and the smooth ride of this truck. But there is always a problem to very single vehicle out there. i just have my power door lock and power rear view mirror (passenger side) fixed. and one time all of my interior lights and speedometer, mile indicator, and all gauges just shut-off by themselves while i was still driving. But they came back up in the morning when i went to work and no problem ever since.

Best half ton in 2008
By Manitouchuck on 03/05/10 10:53 AM (PST)

Bought this PU new at end of March 2008. I love the truck. 2 problems I have had are the placement of rear exhaust pipe under the chrome rear bumper, it causes spot rusting on the bumper. You have to stay on it or it will eventually rust away. Also, my powertrain control module went out after about 11 months. Truck would not run period. No one I have talked to has heard of this part going out. No problems the last 13 months. This truck is a joy to drive. In the summer I can get 20-22 mpg on the highway on long trips. Around town I get 16-18 on the DIC. Subtract 1 mpg when hand calib. Winter mileage runs about 14-15 in town. Also, damaged black spoiler in frnt hitting snow drift, its 2 low.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.