2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Not exactly what I expected it to be.
By onesix on 02/06/12 12:25 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck slightly used in the summer of '09 with 22K on the dash. I have 86K now. Last summer at 65K my transmission went out on me. And my only indicator was that at highway speeds the RPM's would jump up about 1500 and back down speratically for about a week before it locked up on me on the service road of a busy freeway. Had to drive it in reverse half a mile to a gas station to park it. Also, there have been electrical issues with the drivers side lock not locking when I press the remote and window switches not working. Oh, and I'm on my 2nd battery already. Can't figure that one out. Stabilitrak disengages at times. Looking to get out of it already.

RPM Change while driving/Idle Change...?
By jaxarmyguy59 on 10/03/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Chevy dealer said that this was "Normal an that it was the alternator" kicking in. The truck while driving at any/every speed will idle up an then back down about 100 RPM's. I have put duel flowmaster exaust on it and now this is undeniable. You can also feel it in the truck itself when it kicks in almost every 30 seconds or so. Im pissed! I payed alot for this truck, and work hard for my money. I hate beign lied to an I feel like that is just what Chevy did! Do any of you guys know what this might be, or what it sounds like? Thanks for the help, -Jon

Chevy runs deep in repairs
By dlra on 09/07/11 15:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Hello all! First off this truck is not what the dealer told us it was. We purschased it new. Run good when we first got it. Truck has been in the shop for more then 3 repairs. Chattering in the front dashboard, door locks have been not locking, the drivers door cable broken in side of it in order to open it. The check engine light has just came on as my dad left work today. The truck is about 100 miles overdue for a oil change but that shouldnt be the problem considering it has 79% oil life left. We have the 4 door version which is very nice for trips and fits us well. My dad has had enough of this truck. and will never buy chevy again. GM has lost alot of customers on this truck!!!

Nice but awefull interior
By tjdayney on 08/20/11 17:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck because I got a great deal with 0% apr. The thing I did not notice when new was how bad the interior seat fabric and dash material is. everything sticks to the fabric like velcro. it so almost impossible to get hair off and any dust just stick like crazy to the dash. it looks nice when it is clean but as soon as you sit in it it gets dirty. Drive train and mechanical functions are all good so far. the only problem I am having is the door handle is loose and the dealer could not fix it.

Last in a long line of Chevys
By arrjr on 08/05/11 08:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After owning five previous Silverado models and getting over 200,000 miles on each without problems, I am disappointed in the 2008. At about 50K miles, the door locks began to work intermittantly. Now three of them do not work at all. The passenger side mirror has been fixed under warranty when it stopped adjusting, now it is not working again. The transmission has always clunked into first when stopping or lags to downshift until you take off. Dealer said this was normal but it acts just like a sticking torque converter. Painted surfaces on interior is sub-standard and flaking off. Latest problem is the vent selenoid on the fuel system...only $160.00. This may be my last Chevy!

Great after 3 years
By anderson427 on 01/03/11 14:34 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Silverado for 3 years now. I bought it brand new. So far I have had NO problems with this truck. I absolutely love it.

2 years and running!
By TH on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 2 years now and overall, I'm satisfied. Never really been a Chevy guy, I've always bought imports. My truck before this one was a '06 Titan Crew 4x4. I love the rear doors opening to 170 degrees and the electric side windows. The ride comfort is the best I've experienced in a 4x4 truck. The exterior styling is great. I was expecting better fuel mileage from this truck. The best I've got is 17 MPG. I heard that some people are getting well over 20 MPG. Mines is equipped with the 20" wheel package which may or may not be contributing to my poor fuel mileage. The 4 speed transmission took some getting used to coming from the 5 speed tranny in the Titan.

Great Truck
By rnd on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off I will say I only buy GM vehicles. I bought this off lease loaded with every single option in good as new condition for just under $25k with 29k miles on it. I traded in my 2003 silverado for this one. This is hands down the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. Very comfortable and quiet ride , beautiful interior , pretty good gas mileage and tons of power from the 5.3 v8. The only problem I have is with the exterior design. While the truck looks great it is a little lower in the front which makes going through those snow banks a little difficult. I dont want to crack the plastic in the front. My 2003 had better ground clearance. Great truck for the money..

Won't stay running!
By richr on 08/15/10 13:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Since my last review on 7/8/10, the truck has been in the shop twice. Now Roadside assistance says the dealer is out of the 20 mile range and I had to pay the tow company for the extra mileage, was towed from this address before with no issues. The reduced engine power code came back twice and the truck wouldn't stay running. The dealer is once again claiming they can not find a problem, but they would sell me a new truck. They want to give me 14K as a trade?!?! Paid 32K two years ago, so much for holding any value. Going to contact GM Corp. Mon to see if they are willing to offer any assistance. Probably not, next stop will be the lawyers office. Don't Buy this vehicle!

Great Truck!
By MikeCmfrt on 08/13/10 12:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Chevy truck! I grew up on a farm where a truck was a piece of equipment, not a fancy car. I don't want heated leather seats or anything else that screams luxury! I bought a regular cab work truck, installed some nice 20 inch wheels and tires, tinted the windows and then I did nothing except drive it, haul stuff, tow trailers and use it for its intended purpose. This is a truck and it does its job well. I haven't done any maintenance except change the oil and rotate the tires. The 4.8 V8 has plenty of power for normal towing and driving. It's just personal preference, but I like the look of the Chevy better than the alternatives.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.