2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
New, Fun Silverado
By Ric Gleason on 07/18/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So far, so good. No issues what-so-ever. The mileage is not great, but it is a truck so I'm not upset at all. The 5.3 is plenty for my applications, but I do think a 6 speed tranny would be better. The Crew Cab layout is great. I narrowed my selection to the Silverado and the Tundra. After driving both, I chose the Silverado. No regrets at all. Overall it's a very nice truck.

New 2008 truck
By dirt on 07/14/08 17:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

New system that cuts 4 cylinders off not so effective. Best mpg's 18. Expected better. I'm not an aggressive driver and usually maintain a constant speed. Mostly highway driving. Very nice ride, but not as responsive as my Nissan Titan was at 16.5 mpg

Awesome truck
By stup62 on 07/13/08 05:27 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Am very pleased with this truck. My first time owning a full size pickup, so far I put 1200 miles on and no problems. Am averaging 17.7 mpg around town. Will be taking on a trip later this summer, hope to improve on that number.

None better for the money
By jpr2 on 06/26/08 17:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 6th truck, and it is by far the best. Plenty of power for a 6 cyl and the mileage is fair too. I avg. 18+ in town, and get a bit over 20 on the hwy (3.23 gears). I wish the highway was better, but just put a Leer canopy (Legend-100) on and hope the highway mpg improves. The canopy increased the wind noise, which is unusual. The truck had been the quietest I have driven. The steering is absolutely the best, and the tranny shifts smoothly when warmed up. The suspension is like no other, and does not skip around "bumpy" turns, but hugs the road. OnStar and XM radio are great, although the rear speakers are weak at best. My box seems to fit fine, although slanted up.

Great Truck
By wade on 06/23/08 08:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well my wife likes driving my Chevy Truck more than her 07 Saturn Vue. The comfort level is remarkable, were as you know that you are diving a truck, after 2 or 3 hundred miles you don't feel beat up from the drive. Its a Truck that drives like a car. I test drove Ford trucks #1 because they cost less and felt like I had been driving a truck after just a short time.

Is Silverado mileage false advertising?
By David Martin on 06/23/08 06:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall I really like my '08 Silverado over my '01. The ride is much better and it's quieter. I got the 5.3 engine with 3.42 gears for better mileage, but I'm getting 12mpg city and 16mpg highway? My '01 got 14mpg city and 18mpg highway. notice mileage on this site is split between folks getting great mileage and folks getting really bad mileage. Something sure seems amiss! The cruise control doesn't seem to work as well as on my '01.

so far, GREAT TRUCK!!
By Anderson on 06/23/08 00:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Extended Cab 8 ft. LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

More power & gearsI live in MN. I have the Z71 off road. Been a great truck during the winter and summer. This is my first new truck. I love it. I am getting about 18 to 20 MPG on highway. New style black truck with 18" rims looks very sharp. The fuel mgmt does help but doesnt seem to stay in 4cyl for very long even on strait level areas. Truck drives and handles very nice. Kind of tough to park in tight areas but thats to be expected with a truck. Quiet smooth ride. I have used the remote start and it is great. My only complaint about that is that it shuts off after 10 minutes. Should be at least 15 minutes for a MN winter to defrost windows and heat truck up.

Okay truck but forced to have OnStar
By dukeblu on 06/19/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Told the dealership I did not want OnStar. OnStar activated anyway. Tried to call and cancel. Only the dealership can do so in the first year. My truck and I can't cancel the service. Worst customer service i have experienced in a while from GM. Dealership has been fine. Okay truck beyond OnStar, but this service which hijacked my radio the other day drives several low ratings ratings. Think the gas mileage was better with the 5.3 in my 2007 Classic than the 5.3 in the 08. Will not buy another GM until OnStar in not mandatory. Sad that they can't figure out to center the OnStar antenna on the roof. 4th new GM truck in the last seeral years and the last until OnStar is optional

Bye Bye Diesel
By David on 06/05/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I had an F-350 when the fuel went over 4.68 a gal I had to get rid of it. I've always known Chevy was a good ride. This truck is great so far, I do find I drop power once in a while going around corners like a fuel hiccup. It's only second or two but it feels strange. The fuel mileage was great while I was watching it but it drove my girlfriend nuts so I stopped (took it off instant miles per gallon) since then my avg fuel mileage went from 16.5 to 15.8 so watching what you're doing while driving helps slow stops and gradual speed take offs does a lot. I also am a bit frustrated with the seats I can't keep the lint off.

2008 Chevrolet Ext. Cab LTZ 6.0L
By winston on 05/31/08 13:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I went truck shopping and drove the competitive model Ford, Toyota, Dodge and Chevy extended cab trucks. I was replacing an F150 that had been a very very good truck for the 7 years I owned it. Not one issue ever. So naturally I was inclined towards the Ford. After driving all the trucks I decided on the Chevy. I likes the power from the 6.0L compared to the Ford which seemed pretty weak in the pwer department. The Toyota used very poor interior materials and rode terrible. The Dodge was nice but the bed was 6.25 feet compared to the others 6.5ft bed. Overall the Chevy offered a great combination of features with the LTZ package and the Vortec Max package.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.