2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
2008 Chevrolet Silverado Reg Cab Work Truck 4.8L
By 11johnathan11 on 05/30/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have over 5 years and have 45000 miles on it. It has had excellent reliability. I'm still on the original tires. I will replace them around 50000 as they will need it. The only thing I have needed to do was change the front brakes on the truck around 18000 miles and I had to take the truck to the dealer around the 2.8 year mark when the pass door lock stopped working. Apparently this is common because there was another (2007-2012 Chevy Silverado 1500) owner in front of me getting the same pass door lock replaced. Also I had to add some coolant around the 1.5 year mark because in traffic it would start getting warmer as in not in the middle of the gauge where the temp is supposed to be.

Trans
By squekie on 03/31/14 18:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have a 2008 Trans went out after 125,000 whats up with that GM ?

Issue after issue
By waschevguy on 02/03/14 09:49 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have to many issues. @ 40,000 miles went through a set of lower ball joints, 45,000 ran out of oil, 55,000 lost a bearing in the font end. GM made me pay $100 for the ball joints. GM replaced deflector plate to prevent from running oil, GM replaced the bearing. I have stock wheel and tires nothing special. Now have 80'000 and going through oil again, the passenger window does not go down. The dealer put on a oil consumption plan and last time over 900 miles it went through 2 quarts. I'm thinking about calling GM, does any one have any suggestions or ideas. My truck is almost paid off and I don't really want to start over.

Somewhat disappointed!
By str8dwn on 05/03/13 11:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just want to say that this vehicle has been a good ride so far. Have a 2008, 97000 miles and BAM!!! get this flashing signal that say's service stabil-track control and traction control, and my engine light flashes....Well, take it to the dealer, they call back saying it is a broken valve spring #3...if that doesn't resolve the engine light they say they'll have to change the manifold....Im sorta lost....can anyone help out????

Quality Issues
By 08ltxafret on 01/19/13 15:14 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

08 LTZ, 48K miles dash is cracked, door lock actuators working intermitently, interior chrome handles chipping, exterior door handle paint pealing off, interior paint chipping from steering wheel and a/c instrument panel. Under warrenty both d/p window channels replaced due to window squeaking (4 trips to dealer), rear tail light assembly replaced due to moisture (2 trips), carpet under brake/gas pedal comming loose (5 trips), p door lock actuator bad (2 trips). Exterior paint is scracthed with the most minor rub.

Devastatingly Disappointed
By mmc601 on 11/29/12 17:01 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Decided on my first Chevy after my dad's '93 has over 470,000 miles. Even the original door lock activators still work. I bought my '08 Chevy with 37,000 miles in 2010. Now, dashboard is cracked, vent selenoid went bad, and driver side door lock actuators front and back are bad. Further research has revealed that these problems are COMMONPLACE for this model. Seems that the '08 model is a huge debacle. After learning this, I will try to dump it. What a huge disappointment!!!

Stay away from 5.3L AFM engines!
By GM_Blaine on 06/07/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always purchases only GM vehicles. The latest purchase turned out to be my worst car-ownership experience. The subject truck has an apparent defect that caused carbeurization in cyclinders, sticking rings and incredible oil consumption. The vehicle was back and forth to the dealer for 12 months before I threatened legal action and finally got a warranty piston and ring replacement. The engine had just 60,000 miles at the time of the repair. I have not been able to use this vehicle as i had hoped and I have to look now to trade it in before the rings gum up again in 40,000 miles. GM refused to acknowledge any kind of problem for 12 months!

Silverado full of promblems......
By 2008xgmman on 06/05/12 17:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

bought new gm truck cause, thought they were the best... was i wrong..i will try to list the many defects. and there is many i will probably forget on or two.. first the day i bought new and drove home the hub caps feel off.. nice right.... one month and less than 8000 miles had to have trans work. and after that the seat recliner lever broke and was fixed and it broke again..junk right..dont ever buy on with on board tire pressure monitor. when that goes out the sensors are over $100.00 and you have to have the tire taking off the rim. more cost...and i still goes off evertime you start the vehicle. worst off the bolts fell out of the exshaust manifold and damaged the heads,

A REAL review of the Chevy Silverado
By afmatt212 on 04/01/12 23:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off i have to address some of the reviews on the silverado. I keep reading reviews that say things like " transmission sucks" and "truck wont last over 60k!!" really people!?! I am a aircraft mechanic and have a long understanding of how engines and machines run. I own a 2008 chevy 1500 Z71 and have had ZERO issues with the vehicle, and you know why? Its simple.. buy a service manual and follow the maintance schedule!!! Change fluids and insert some grease here and there and i can almost promise you will have zero maintance failures! I love how people think you can just drive a truck into the ground and it will last. Now on to the details about my chevy!

Problems...
By d04 on 03/28/12 08:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had numerous problems with our 2008 Chevy Silverado that we purchased new and has low miles. One of the problems is power lock failure. Recently the passenger side quit working, but since we are out of our warranty, GM would not cover the cost. However, after speaking with several people from GM I found that they will do a voluntary recall if they get enough complaints from the consumer about this issue. Even if you have already paid to have this problem fixed in the past, please call 866-790-5600 [non-permissible content removed] to let them know of the problem and maybe we can get them to do the voluntary recall so consumers can get reimbursed for the repair costs.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.