Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Reg Cab Work Truck 4.8L
By 11johnathan11

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab LT1 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have over 5 years and have 45000 miles on it. It has had excellent reliability. I'm still on the original tires. I will replace them around 50000 as they will need it. The only thing I have needed to do was change the front brakes on the truck around 18000 miles and I had to take the truck to the dealer around the 2.8 year mark when the pass door lock stopped working. Apparently this is common because there was another (2007-2012 Chevy Silverado 1500) owner in front of me getting the same pass door lock replaced. Also I had to add some coolant around the 1.5 year mark because in traffic it would start getting warmer as in not in the middle of the gauge where the temp is supposed to be.

Favorite Features

Drives great and has been reliable so far.

Suggested Improvements

Make the door locks stronger. Occasionally it idles rough, starting around 800 miles, so far no issues but its made me wonder. I got a notice letter from Chevy but the dealer (Hudiberg, OKC)told me if they inspect it and find nothing wrong I would owe them the hourly maintenance fee.

Trans
By squekie

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have a 2008 Trans went out after 125,000 whats up with that GM ?

Silverado full of promblems......
By 2008xgmman

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

bought new gm truck cause, thought they were the best... was i wrong..i will try to list the many defects. and there is many i will probably forget on or two.. first the day i bought new and drove home the hub caps feel off.. nice right.... one month and less than 8000 miles had to have trans work. and after that the seat recliner lever broke and was fixed and it broke again..junk right..dont ever buy on with on board tire pressure monitor. when that goes out the sensors are over $100.00 and you have to have the tire taking off the rim. more cost...and i still goes off evertime you start the vehicle. worst off the bolts fell out of the exshaust manifold and damaged the heads,

Favorite Features

wont buy gm again and would not reccomend very unsatisfied

Problems...
By d04

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We have had numerous problems with our 2008 Chevy Silverado that we purchased new and has low miles. One of the problems is power lock failure. Recently the passenger side quit working, but since we are out of our warranty, GM would not cover the cost. However, after speaking with several people from GM I found that they will do a voluntary recall if they get enough complaints from the consumer about this issue. Even if you have already paid to have this problem fixed in the past, please call 866-790-5600 [non-permissible content removed] to let them know of the problem and maybe we can get them to do the voluntary recall so consumers can get reimbursed for the repair costs.

Great Truck!
By MikeCmfrt

I love my Chevy truck! I grew up on a farm where a truck was a piece of equipment, not a fancy car. I don't want heated leather seats or anything else that screams luxury! I bought a regular cab work truck, installed some nice 20 inch wheels and tires, tinted the windows and then I did nothing except drive it, haul stuff, tow trailers and use it for its intended purpose. This is a truck and it does its job well. I haven't done any maintenance except change the oil and rotate the tires. The 4.8 V8 has plenty of power for normal towing and driving. It's just personal preference, but I like the look of the Chevy better than the alternatives.

Favorite Features

Even though my truck is classified as a Work Truck, it is equipped with AM/FM/CD, air conditioning, power windows & door looks. It's as nice as I want it to be and has always been completely dependable. It's a solid truck with a long history of serving America's workforce. I'll buy another one!

Suggested Improvements

Ford's regular cab has a small space for storage behind the seat. Chevy does not. I don't expect a regular cab truck to have a lot of storage room in the cab, but there is NONE in mine. I have to choose between a gym bag and a passenger.