2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Quality Issues
By 08ltxafret on 01/19/13 15:14 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

08 LTZ, 48K miles dash is cracked, door lock actuators working intermitently, interior chrome handles chipping, exterior door handle paint pealing off, interior paint chipping from steering wheel and a/c instrument panel. Under warrenty both d/p window channels replaced due to window squeaking (4 trips to dealer), rear tail light assembly replaced due to moisture (2 trips), carpet under brake/gas pedal comming loose (5 trips), p door lock actuator bad (2 trips). Exterior paint is scracthed with the most minor rub.

Not exactly what I expected it to be.
By onesix on 02/06/12 12:25 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LS 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck slightly used in the summer of '09 with 22K on the dash. I have 86K now. Last summer at 65K my transmission went out on me. And my only indicator was that at highway speeds the RPM's would jump up about 1500 and back down speratically for about a week before it locked up on me on the service road of a busy freeway. Had to drive it in reverse half a mile to a gas station to park it. Also, there have been electrical issues with the drivers side lock not locking when I press the remote and window switches not working. Oh, and I'm on my 2nd battery already. Can't figure that one out. Stabilitrak disengages at times. Looking to get out of it already.

RPM Change while driving/Idle Change...?
By jaxarmyguy59 on 10/03/11 17:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The Chevy dealer said that this was "Normal an that it was the alternator" kicking in. The truck while driving at any/every speed will idle up an then back down about 100 RPM's. I have put duel flowmaster exaust on it and now this is undeniable. You can also feel it in the truck itself when it kicks in almost every 30 seconds or so. Im pissed! I payed alot for this truck, and work hard for my money. I hate beign lied to an I feel like that is just what Chevy did! Do any of you guys know what this might be, or what it sounds like? Thanks for the help, -Jon

Chevy runs deep in repairs
By dlra on 09/07/11 15:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT2 4dr Extended Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Hello all! First off this truck is not what the dealer told us it was. We purschased it new. Run good when we first got it. Truck has been in the shop for more then 3 repairs. Chattering in the front dashboard, door locks have been not locking, the drivers door cable broken in side of it in order to open it. The check engine light has just came on as my dad left work today. The truck is about 100 miles overdue for a oil change but that shouldnt be the problem considering it has 79% oil life left. We have the 4 door version which is very nice for trips and fits us well. My dad has had enough of this truck. and will never buy chevy again. GM has lost alot of customers on this truck!!!

Last in a long line of Chevys
By arrjr on 08/05/11 08:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After owning five previous Silverado models and getting over 200,000 miles on each without problems, I am disappointed in the 2008. At about 50K miles, the door locks began to work intermittantly. Now three of them do not work at all. The passenger side mirror has been fixed under warranty when it stopped adjusting, now it is not working again. The transmission has always clunked into first when stopping or lags to downshift until you take off. Dealer said this was normal but it acts just like a sticking torque converter. Painted surfaces on interior is sub-standard and flaking off. Latest problem is the vent selenoid on the fuel system...only $160.00. This may be my last Chevy!

Great after 3 years
By anderson427 on 01/03/11 14:34 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Silverado for 3 years now. I bought it brand new. So far I have had NO problems with this truck. I absolutely love it.

2 years and running!
By TH on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 2 years now and overall, I'm satisfied. Never really been a Chevy guy, I've always bought imports. My truck before this one was a '06 Titan Crew 4x4. I love the rear doors opening to 170 degrees and the electric side windows. The ride comfort is the best I've experienced in a 4x4 truck. The exterior styling is great. I was expecting better fuel mileage from this truck. The best I've got is 17 MPG. I heard that some people are getting well over 20 MPG. Mines is equipped with the 20" wheel package which may or may not be contributing to my poor fuel mileage. The 4 speed transmission took some getting used to coming from the 5 speed tranny in the Titan.

Great Truck
By rnd on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

First off I will say I only buy GM vehicles. I bought this off lease loaded with every single option in good as new condition for just under $25k with 29k miles on it. I traded in my 2003 silverado for this one. This is hands down the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. Very comfortable and quiet ride , beautiful interior , pretty good gas mileage and tons of power from the 5.3 v8. The only problem I have is with the exterior design. While the truck looks great it is a little lower in the front which makes going through those snow banks a little difficult. I dont want to crack the plastic in the front. My 2003 had better ground clearance. Great truck for the money..

Won't stay running!
By richr on 08/15/10 13:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LT1 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Since my last review on 7/8/10, the truck has been in the shop twice. Now Roadside assistance says the dealer is out of the 20 mile range and I had to pay the tow company for the extra mileage, was towed from this address before with no issues. The reduced engine power code came back twice and the truck wouldn't stay running. The dealer is once again claiming they can not find a problem, but they would sell me a new truck. They want to give me 14K as a trade?!?! Paid 32K two years ago, so much for holding any value. Going to contact GM Corp. Mon to see if they are willing to offer any assistance. Probably not, next stop will be the lawyers office. Don't Buy this vehicle!

Very Disappointed
By GP on 07/30/10 13:24 PM (PDT)

As much as I like the ride, comfort, power and gas mileage of this vehicle, its extremely unreliable. In the past 6 weeks, I've had the vehicle in the shop 4 times (14 days total) for various problems that have required major work on the transmission and engine. I have had various other problems with the transmission and drivetrain in the past that the dealership has not been able to fix, or refused to fix under warranty. Am done buying GM products!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.