Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Issue after issue
By waschevguy

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have to many issues. @ 40,000 miles went through a set of lower ball joints, 45,000 ran out of oil, 55,000 lost a bearing in the font end. GM made me pay $100 for the ball joints. GM replaced deflector plate to prevent from running oil, GM replaced the bearing. I have stock wheel and tires nothing special. Now have 80'000 and going through oil again, the passenger window does not go down. The dealer put on a oil consumption plan and last time over 900 miles it went through 2 quarts. I'm thinking about calling GM, does any one have any suggestions or ideas. My truck is almost paid off and I don't really want to start over.

Favorite Features

I really think the truck is very comfortable and enjoy driving it. But with the issues I'm not happy. I have owned several GM's in my life and always been a Chevy guy, but that has changed. Maybe need to look @ forgein truck or maybe a dodge. My wife had a arcadia and it was the same year as my truck and had tons of issues with that also. I hope GM can make this right, hope I can get some feedback on what to do.

Somewhat disappointed!
By str8dwn

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just want to say that this vehicle has been a good ride so far. Have a 2008, 97000 miles and BAM!!! get this flashing signal that say's service stabil-track control and traction control, and my engine light flashes....Well, take it to the dealer, they call back saying it is a broken valve spring #3...if that doesn't resolve the engine light they say they'll have to change the manifold....Im sorta lost....can anyone help out????

Devastatingly Disappointed
By mmc601

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Decided on my first Chevy after my dad's '93 has over 470,000 miles. Even the original door lock activators still work. I bought my '08 Chevy with 37,000 miles in 2010. Now, dashboard is cracked, vent selenoid went bad, and driver side door lock actuators front and back are bad. Further research has revealed that these problems are COMMONPLACE for this model. Seems that the '08 model is a huge debacle. After learning this, I will try to dump it. What a huge disappointment!!!

Stay away from 5.3L AFM engines!
By GM_Blaine

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always purchases only GM vehicles. The latest purchase turned out to be my worst car-ownership experience. The subject truck has an apparent defect that caused carbeurization in cyclinders, sticking rings and incredible oil consumption. The vehicle was back and forth to the dealer for 12 months before I threatened legal action and finally got a warranty piston and ring replacement. The engine had just 60,000 miles at the time of the repair. I have not been able to use this vehicle as i had hoped and I have to look now to trade it in before the rings gum up again in 40,000 miles. GM refused to acknowledge any kind of problem for 12 months!

Favorite Features

The body style and interior are great. It rides well. I love the design.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the 5.3l AFM engine before you chase off any more loyal customers. Don't lie to your customers about known problems. If GM had been honest up front, I would be looking to replace this vehicle with another GM, instead of a Toyota. What's worse is I have also told all those in my extended family to stay away from GM products. I am an engineer who started out in the automotive sector and the patronizing by GM customer Care has tunred me against GM for the forseeable future. I suspect there are others out there that have had a similar experience.

A REAL review of the Chevy Silverado
By afmatt212

First off i have to address some of the reviews on the silverado. I keep reading reviews that say things like " transmission sucks" and "truck wont last over 60k!!" really people!?! I am a aircraft mechanic and have a long understanding of how engines and machines run. I own a 2008 chevy 1500 Z71 and have had ZERO issues with the vehicle, and you know why? Its simple.. buy a service manual and follow the maintance schedule!!! Change fluids and insert some grease here and there and i can almost promise you will have zero maintance failures! I love how people think you can just drive a truck into the ground and it will last. Now on to the details about my chevy!

Favorite Features

HUGE cabin space.. you feel like your in the cockpit of the space shuttle. SAFETY.. SAFETY.. with the size of the pickup and amount good quality american steel wrapped around my family i feel like a tank on the highway. QUALITY AND VALUE!! the truck has 60k on it and i still have people ask me how many months have i owned it. paint, engine, interior has all passed my expectations.

Suggested Improvements

All though i give my chevy a 4.8 out of 5 stars it still has a few issues. It turns like a 18 wheeler, you have to swing real wide to get her fat ass in a parking spot. Plastic that hides the mounting brakets to the seat break off. CITY gas miliage is horrible.. but its a huge truck and it is what it is people! My biggest issue is the ride quality. I know it has the Z71 stiff suspension, but DAMN it fill shake the fillings out your teeth some times. I am going to upgrade the suspension soon because i cant take it anymore. But overall a wonderful truck.