2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Issue after issue
By waschevguy on 02/03/14 09:49 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have to many issues. @ 40,000 miles went through a set of lower ball joints, 45,000 ran out of oil, 55,000 lost a bearing in the font end. GM made me pay $100 for the ball joints. GM replaced deflector plate to prevent from running oil, GM replaced the bearing. I have stock wheel and tires nothing special. Now have 80'000 and going through oil again, the passenger window does not go down. The dealer put on a oil consumption plan and last time over 900 miles it went through 2 quarts. I'm thinking about calling GM, does any one have any suggestions or ideas. My truck is almost paid off and I don't really want to start over.

Somewhat disappointed!
By str8dwn on 05/03/13 11:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LS 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just want to say that this vehicle has been a good ride so far. Have a 2008, 97000 miles and BAM!!! get this flashing signal that say's service stabil-track control and traction control, and my engine light flashes....Well, take it to the dealer, they call back saying it is a broken valve spring #3...if that doesn't resolve the engine light they say they'll have to change the manifold....Im sorta lost....can anyone help out????

Devastatingly Disappointed
By mmc601 on 11/29/12 17:01 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Decided on my first Chevy after my dad's '93 has over 470,000 miles. Even the original door lock activators still work. I bought my '08 Chevy with 37,000 miles in 2010. Now, dashboard is cracked, vent selenoid went bad, and driver side door lock actuators front and back are bad. Further research has revealed that these problems are COMMONPLACE for this model. Seems that the '08 model is a huge debacle. After learning this, I will try to dump it. What a huge disappointment!!!

Stay away from 5.3L AFM engines!
By GM_Blaine on 06/07/12 12:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've always purchases only GM vehicles. The latest purchase turned out to be my worst car-ownership experience. The subject truck has an apparent defect that caused carbeurization in cyclinders, sticking rings and incredible oil consumption. The vehicle was back and forth to the dealer for 12 months before I threatened legal action and finally got a warranty piston and ring replacement. The engine had just 60,000 miles at the time of the repair. I have not been able to use this vehicle as i had hoped and I have to look now to trade it in before the rings gum up again in 40,000 miles. GM refused to acknowledge any kind of problem for 12 months!

A REAL review of the Chevy Silverado
By afmatt212 on 04/01/12 23:53 PM (PDT)

First off i have to address some of the reviews on the silverado. I keep reading reviews that say things like " transmission sucks" and "truck wont last over 60k!!" really people!?! I am a aircraft mechanic and have a long understanding of how engines and machines run. I own a 2008 chevy 1500 Z71 and have had ZERO issues with the vehicle, and you know why? Its simple.. buy a service manual and follow the maintance schedule!!! Change fluids and insert some grease here and there and i can almost promise you will have zero maintance failures! I love how people think you can just drive a truck into the ground and it will last. Now on to the details about my chevy!

Nice but awefull interior
By tjdayney on 08/20/11 17:00 PM (PDT)

I bought this truck because I got a great deal with 0% apr. The thing I did not notice when new was how bad the interior seat fabric and dash material is. everything sticks to the fabric like velcro. it so almost impossible to get hair off and any dust just stick like crazy to the dash. it looks nice when it is clean but as soon as you sit in it it gets dirty. Drive train and mechanical functions are all good so far. the only problem I am having is the door handle is loose and the dealer could not fix it.

still owning Chevy`s
By Jim & Norma on 03/20/10 14:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is excellent! We've owned about a dozen new and used Chevy pickups in the last 25yrs. They just keep getting better! We like the new hood style. The ride is extremely smooth and comfortable. Visibility out all windows is great. This truck rides more like a car. I would have to say this is probably the best used pickup "so far".

Love it but slightly sketchy
By KoNaGuRl on 02/19/10 11:00 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck sight unseen except for pictures sent via email. I love it but i'm noticing some issues someonelse previously wrote about with the thud noise in the differential. I've also noticed a delay in acceleration. No longer have dealerships here on island and i've also been told those are normal??? Anyone experienced these things and if so...normal????

Great Truck
By Dexter on 01/17/10 07:44 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My Silverado performs very well. After two years of ownership, no problems to note. Great power with the 5.3. A six speed trany would have been nice, but four speed is tried and true. No problems pulling our 6000 lb boat. Locking rear dif. is the best on the market. Overall a very nice and capable truck.

Still running great and smooth
By billboo80 on 09/04/09 17:44 PM (PDT)

I was a little worried about the tires that came with it, but they held up surprisingly well a year later. Leather seating and comfort allows us to take lengthy trips exceeding 6 -9 hours without aches/pains.Initial flapping noise at 60 mph was found to be front windshield plastic trim. We got it replaced. Oh yeah, there is this little thing called GM driveline lash, where there is slop in the differential, between the ring and pinion gears, so you hear a clunk when starting forward after a stop. GM says its normal...I'll keep checking.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.