Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Devastatingly Disappointed
By mmc601

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Decided on my first Chevy after my dad's '93 has over 470,000 miles. Even the original door lock activators still work. I bought my '08 Chevy with 37,000 miles in 2010. Now, dashboard is cracked, vent selenoid went bad, and driver side door lock actuators front and back are bad. Further research has revealed that these problems are COMMONPLACE for this model. Seems that the '08 model is a huge debacle. After learning this, I will try to dump it. What a huge disappointment!!!

A REAL review of the Chevy Silverado
By afmatt212

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off i have to address some of the reviews on the silverado. I keep reading reviews that say things like " transmission sucks" and "truck wont last over 60k!!" really people!?! I am a aircraft mechanic and have a long understanding of how engines and machines run. I own a 2008 chevy 1500 Z71 and have had ZERO issues with the vehicle, and you know why? Its simple.. buy a service manual and follow the maintance schedule!!! Change fluids and insert some grease here and there and i can almost promise you will have zero maintance failures! I love how people think you can just drive a truck into the ground and it will last. Now on to the details about my chevy!

Favorite Features

HUGE cabin space.. you feel like your in the cockpit of the space shuttle. SAFETY.. SAFETY.. with the size of the pickup and amount good quality american steel wrapped around my family i feel like a tank on the highway. QUALITY AND VALUE!! the truck has 60k on it and i still have people ask me how many months have i owned it. paint, engine, interior has all passed my expectations.

Suggested Improvements

All though i give my chevy a 4.8 out of 5 stars it still has a few issues. It turns like a 18 wheeler, you have to swing real wide to get her fat ass in a parking spot. Plastic that hides the mounting brakets to the seat break off. CITY gas miliage is horrible.. but its a huge truck and it is what it is people! My biggest issue is the ride quality. I know it has the Z71 stiff suspension, but DAMN it fill shake the fillings out your teeth some times. I am going to upgrade the suspension soon because i cant take it anymore. But overall a wonderful truck.

Fun To Drive Truck
By PaulS

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck, by far much better that the 2006 2500 HD 4WD gas guzzling machine I traded in. Not sure what the active fuel management is, however after the purchase process on the long journey home over a 100 miles this baby got alittle over 18MPG compared to the 13 mpg the 2006 Chevy. This truck is much more quieter and much more fun to drive. Smooth acceleration quick to stop. This is by far the best truck Chevy has ever put out.

Favorite Features

The color and the exterior styling is so cool, leather seats are nice, and XM brings in the old rock.

Suggested Improvements

Not sure what's going on in the rear end of bed however in driving the truck and looking at the back of bed and tailgate. The whole assembly is moving all over the place. Keep working on gas mileage you can do it!!

New, Fun Silverado
By Ric Gleason

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So far, so good. No issues what-so-ever. The mileage is not great, but it is a truck so I'm not upset at all. The 5.3 is plenty for my applications, but I do think a 6 speed tranny would be better. The Crew Cab layout is great. I narrowed my selection to the Silverado and the Tundra. After driving both, I chose the Silverado. No regrets at all. Overall it's a very nice truck.

Favorite Features

The OnStar is pretty neat. The XM radio is OK, but I probably won't continue with it. The steering / handling are great. The ride quality is also very good. I tend to keep vehicles awhile. My previous was a 1996 Extended cab Silverado. This is certainly a vast improvement. Good job GM.

Suggested Improvements

I don't particularly like the huge spaces in the wheel wells. I may lower this a couple of inches. I've tried (unsuccessfully) to locate plastic wheel well inserts. How about making them standard issue?! The stock tires are OK but I'll probably upgrade to the Michelins. Front bumper design weird.

Great truck
By mxboy614

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven this truck everywhere. I race motocross for a living so it has gone all across the country and never let me down. I also tow a 22ft enclosed trailer with me for races and the truck never lets me down. Always has enough power to tow up hills.

Favorite Features

XM radio and OnStar. Two best things ever.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the trailer brake controller was easier to hook up like the 2006 and older Chevys.