Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2 years and running!
By TH

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 2 years now and overall, I'm satisfied. Never really been a Chevy guy, I've always bought imports. My truck before this one was a '06 Titan Crew 4x4. I love the rear doors opening to 170 degrees and the electric side windows. The ride comfort is the best I've experienced in a 4x4 truck. The exterior styling is great. I was expecting better fuel mileage from this truck. The best I've got is 17 MPG. I heard that some people are getting well over 20 MPG. Mines is equipped with the 20" wheel package which may or may not be contributing to my poor fuel mileage. The 4 speed transmission took some getting used to coming from the 5 speed tranny in the Titan.

170 degree rear door opening, remote start, XM radio, 20" wheels. This is a great looking truck and it has a great ride.

Better quality parts - the door lock actuator quit working on the drivers door. Dealer replaced both door lock actuators under warranty. Could use a 5 speed trans.

Wish I had may Dodge Back
By jan coppock

Purchased this truck new, to get the fuel management system, in December 2007. In Jan. 2009 the check engine light came on. This continued with repeated trips to Dealer. Well, we have had to replace a map sensor, valve spring, 2 oxygen sensors (not under warranty), manifold and gasket,& wiring to cargo lamp. That's not the end. We now have no dome light, there is a chattering noise by the dash board when you let off the gas and go from 55 down to 40-45 (very annoying). We traded a 2 year old Dodge P.U. (fully loaded) for a Chevy (with less on it) and all we got was approx. 3 miles more to the gallon on gas, and a truck with problems and not a comfortable to ride in. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

1st new truck purchase
By Brandon

This is the first truck I have purchased new. Totally enjoy the truck so far (3500 miles). I did have a leak in the front trasfer case, took it in and they found nothing. It hasn't leaked since. Looked like a seal was leaking. The only complaint I have is something I have seen on here, the cloth seats need constant removal of lint and seat shedding. Didn't know if this was due to "new" seats or if this will be a constant battle. Maybe should have spent the extra money for leather. Other than that it is an awesome truck, get lots of looks and compliments. Added a soft bed cover, spray in liner and chrome door handles. Back in black and lovin ever minute of it. Like a rock!

Handling, payload capabilities, style. 170 swing doors with power windows (all 4)

Buy a new vehicle get sat radio free while you own the vehicle. Not buying it.

08 ext cab 5.3 Z71
By Doc

All in all, a much improved truck from my '04 Z71 ext. cab Silverado. The ride is great, handling is much better. My first road trip averaged 18 MPG. Hopefully it will get better as it breaks in. Chevy did away with the "plug & play" trailer brake controller harness. You'll find the wire bundle under the dash, plus 2 taped wires under the hood that have to be connected, plus an added fuse to buy. My biggest complaint: The doors lock automatically, either when shifting or at a factory set speed. There is no way to disable the auto locks. #2 is the required use of the keyless remote. Unlocking the driver's door with the key sets off the alarm. No way to change this either, I'm told.

Ride, handling, improved interior

Ability to disable auto door locks. Ability to use the key to open the truck without setting the alarm off. When ordering the trailering pkg, how about pre-connected the wiring for us. PAL iPod player, though advertised in the brochure, is not available.

Bigger and Better
By sorin serban

I have been a chevy truck owner for over 30 years. This has hands down been the best truck I have ever owned. I still cannot believe that I am getting an average of 22 mpg on the highway, with the active fuel management. Not to mention the versatility of the back doors opening 170 degrees makes getting the kids in and out a snap. I love the power when I am hauling my boat to the lake it feels like I'm not hauling anything at all. GM went above and beyond this time.

I love the split fold back seats. The active fuel management is great. The interior looks like a luxury sedan. EZ lift tailgate with the lock.

None, keep up the good work.