Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Trans
By squekie

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have a 2008 Trans went out after 125,000 whats up with that GM ?

Great Truck!
By MikeCmfrt

I love my Chevy truck! I grew up on a farm where a truck was a piece of equipment, not a fancy car. I don't want heated leather seats or anything else that screams luxury! I bought a regular cab work truck, installed some nice 20 inch wheels and tires, tinted the windows and then I did nothing except drive it, haul stuff, tow trailers and use it for its intended purpose. This is a truck and it does its job well. I haven't done any maintenance except change the oil and rotate the tires. The 4.8 V8 has plenty of power for normal towing and driving. It's just personal preference, but I like the look of the Chevy better than the alternatives.

Favorite Features

Even though my truck is classified as a Work Truck, it is equipped with AM/FM/CD, air conditioning, power windows & door looks. It's as nice as I want it to be and has always been completely dependable. It's a solid truck with a long history of serving America's workforce. I'll buy another one!

Suggested Improvements

Ford's regular cab has a small space for storage behind the seat. Chevy does not. I don't expect a regular cab truck to have a lot of storage room in the cab, but there is NONE in mine. I have to choose between a gym bag and a passenger.

2008 chevy silverado
By kstyle

After have this truck for a year and with over 11k on the truck the mpg has not improved. I am at best getting 15 mpg and I am light on the foot. I thought this would be a great truck but I just feel that chevy is too cheap to redesign the transmission and adding more power to the engine.

Favorite Features

I added my own now. ipod stero, line x bed liner, tonnue cover, and dual exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

mpg, interior needs an upgrade and not so cheep paint.

update on a great truck
By jpr

I posted here previously, and now have 2 years on the truck. Only problem was a rattle in exhaust that happened in cold weather. GM replaced the converter and back tailpipe, the best warranty experience I have had. Leer canopy did not increase mileage, but still getting around 20 mpg highway, 18 town. General Ameritrac tires are poor at best. Drove truck on Alcan highway with full load, and it performed great. Love the steering and suspension even on a full load with 55mph tundra waves. Need posi-traction on slick surfaces such as snow, rain or loose gravel. Get it on the 2WD. Overall, this is the best truck I have owned. A great value.

Favorite Features

performance as a truck. Looks great with canopy, hood deflector/window shades, and Bully bars. 20" or 22" wheels make it look "Cool". I can't afford cool. Driving comfort (I am 6'1" 250 lbs) and find the truck very comfortable. LUV the automatic lights....very safe feature in Alaska.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage on the 6 cyl. Get seat covers, as the stock tend to ball up lint. Easier access to air filter. Locking gas cap. Bigger sun visors on drivers side.

Good Buy
By Ryan

Wanted a dependable work or play truck and got exactly what I was looking for. Purchased a 2008 (4.3 / Auto) with LS package (chrome bumpers and wheels), locking rear, keyless, carpet, cruise and A/C for around $13,500 (Original sticker $20,850). I couldn't find a used truck with those features for that kind of price. Getting mileage as promised (17-18 combined) Everything in the engine compartment is easy to access. Very pleased with the truck.

Favorite Features

Overall design very reminiscent of other Chevys I have owned (1973, 1993, 1997) But greatly improved. Hard to believe this is the bottom of the line truck.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe factory spray in or even the new composite bed like the Tacomas.