Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Heart Beat Of America
By mrual

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck after owning a 92 S-10 4.3 Had no problems with the S-10 and i have no Problems with the silverado the silverado has a 5.3L as everyone else allways looking for better gas mileage before doing anything to my engine i was getting 18.8 MPG so i thought i would replace the OME intake system and replace with K&N cold air intake anyone thinking of doing this please do my performance went threw the roof way better gas mileage and way better performance the engine can finally breath (GM really needs to do something about there air intake systems ).. the interior is great XM and Onstar are a must love the bose sound great room front and back

XM radio, Onstar, comfort front and rear, Bose sound, steering wheel controls, computer systems in dash

Cold air antake systems. Too bad i had to replace to get way better perfomance. Taking down the spare tire looks like it can be a pain.

Excellent Truck!
By Mitchel

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS2 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have been nothing but thrilled with my truck. It has been wonderful to own and drive. I will definitely purchase another Chevrolet truck when I am in the market again.

Gas mileage, comfort, durability

None

After driving for 11k miles, still strong
By Corey

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS2 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck. As a hunter, homeowner, and a father, I needed 4wd, a truck bed, and 4 full doors for my family. This is the perfect family vehicle. No mini-van for me. I've put 11,000 miles on it and it's still riding smooth as day 1. I bought it 4 months old with 6,000 miles on it. I've hauled 1,250lbs of brick and dirt and tow my 2,200lbs boat in hot South Carolina summers with A/C cranked, without issue. I only wish I would've waited 3 more months for the standard 100,000 mile warranty. I'll just put my trust in Chevy to make a truck that will make it to 100,000 miles without major repair. Great truck!

Folding aluminum tonneau cover, roomy backseat, and everything else behind the bowtie.

The only thing I would improve is a higher ride height. As a former Jeep owner, I like to see over the cars. Even the 4wd model is only modestly raised.

Shaky Chevy
By Jim

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have a 2006 1500 Work Truck. The transmission went out at 7,000 miles. The heater blower wiring burned up at 8000 miles and again at 22,000. The exhaust has a vibration at 40 to 45 mph and the dealer said live with it. Another dealer repaired the wiring correctly and is sure he can fix the vibration. This is a 4.3 V-6 and I would say there is a major difference between service departments in Austin Texas.

Good looks and ride

Improve the low quality build

I'm happy with the overall performance
By hockytwn02

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT3 4dr Extended Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck rides so darn smooth, and has power. I am unhappy with the gas mileage, craftmanship, and engineering. However I do understand w/ the 5.3 it will consume more fuel, but at 13.8 mpg I am forced to buy aftermarket products for the truck. Not everyone can keep a tonneu cover on constantly. The tailights got broken when pulling out plywood, the carpet was not tucked in around the doors, the seatbelt cover was not screwed down, and biggest one of all is The box was very off centered. Had to take back to dealer and get a loner for 2 days. No handle for passengers to hold on to, only the bar for the front passenger.

I like the power and comfort (rides like a cadilac) of the bad machine. When you step on the gas pedal you hear the horses kick in. The height of the vehicle is great I sit higher than most trucks. The readings on the dash, very helpful.

Redesign the tailights to inset a little more, not to stick out into the bed. Place handles as a standard feature for all passengers. The hood cant see the corners in front of you very well.

• SUV