Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2006 Chevy Silverado 4WD WT 4.8L
By Oakhiller

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck! I have owned many Chevy trucks and this is the best one so far! I definitely prefer the V8. Better gas mileage and power than the 4.3L V6. Fit and build flawless. Sure footed in ice and snow.

V8 power. Fit and finish. Quiet and comfortable to drive.

My truck is the regular cab, short bed. I would have preferred it with the extended cab but extra cost was out of my reach and unreasonable.

Major Dissapointment
By jwarren

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the Silverado new in June of 06. Since then, I had a leaky radiator hose, replaced the whole front differential, a transmission leak, numerous steering problems, brake lights went out twice and a few other minor problems. Very dissapointed in this truck. My first new truck and it is nothing but a constant problem. It is in the shop now for a moaning noise in the 4x4 when turning. I am looking at an 08 Tundra or Sierra to replace this mess of a truck. Great power from the engine and ride is great. Gas mileage is okay with about 12 city and up to 17-18 highway.

Tow/haul button, auto 4x4, towing package.

Do something about the tailgate. It is hard to open. Storage compartments on door side are too narrow. Back doors need to open wider like my 02 Ram. Needs to sit a bit higher. Needs a 4x4 indicator. Reliability is an obvious mess.

Great Truck for the Money
By cwosimon

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck, have the 4.8 V-8, well equiped w/ trailer pkg. Very good power, handles well, good gas mileage. Not as fun as my Dodge Dakota SLT, but close and 40% better mileage. It is our trip vehicle, pulls our two jets ski's, all our gear and the three of us with no problem. At 25,000 miles nothing other than normal maintenance. Well laid out interior and both front and back seat are comfortable. Will buy another is 4 or 5 years.

Gas mileage (ocasionally over 20 mpg on hwy), average 17.5. Dual climate control, good power..

Drive train is somewhat clunky.

You get what you pay for
By darasdad

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

My truck has the V6, limited slip differential, A/C, and cruise, and the sticker was $19000. The V6 is a dog. When I use the cruise at interstate speeds, the engine will speed up to 4500 rpm on even a small hill. This is excessive and unacceptable. However, I was told by the dealer that is the nature of the V6. The warning dinger is terribly loud. My limited slip differential/transmission is clunky. The windshield wipers don't come up very far for servicing, and the radio antenna is in the way when needing to scrape frost from the windshield. The cup holders placement on the floor is horrible, and everything else is quite mediochre. I guess I got what I paid for, and that is a $19k truck.

Dual zone climate control, automatic headlights.

Soften the warning dinger, more horsepower in the V6, place the antenna in the windshield, redesign the hood so that the windshield wipers can be raised, better placement of the cup holders.

Heart Beat Of America
By mrual

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT2 4dr Extended Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck after owning a 92 S-10 4.3 Had no problems with the S-10 and i have no Problems with the silverado the silverado has a 5.3L as everyone else allways looking for better gas mileage before doing anything to my engine i was getting 18.8 MPG so i thought i would replace the OME intake system and replace with K&N cold air intake anyone thinking of doing this please do my performance went threw the roof way better gas mileage and way better performance the engine can finally breath (GM really needs to do something about there air intake systems ).. the interior is great XM and Onstar are a must love the bose sound great room front and back

XM radio, Onstar, comfort front and rear, Bose sound, steering wheel controls, computer systems in dash

Cold air antake systems. Too bad i had to replace to get way better perfomance. Taking down the spare tire looks like it can be a pain.