Used 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Overall quality is lacking
By Dave

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This was my second Chevy pickup, my first being a '57 stepside. Since that old Chevy, I had evidently been spoiled by a few Fords, two Nissans and a Dodge. No complaints on any of those other pickups, but this Chevy must've been a lemon. Everything from the battery to the temperature control to the transmission gave me trouble in the 9 months that I've had it.

Favorite Features

I was quite fond of the body style. It was a nice looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

Attention to detail in the QC department would be nice!

My 12th work truck
By bob

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT3 4dr Crew Cab 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2006 LT1 Extended cab, shortbox, 5.3LV8 4X4. I have had 12 company owned trucks so far, 8 of 'em Chevys. Even though we had to replace a transmission at 88,000 miles, I still rated this vehicle very high on reliability because the drive train hasn't changed in several years and this was the first major problem I've ever encountered in 400,000+ miles driving late model Chevy pickups. Heck, my 2006 still has the original brake pads at 111,000 miles! Flat, freeway driving averages about 17.5 mpg, drops to about 13mpg if light duty towing (boat). Very comfortable for long distance driving.

Favorite Features

Quiet, comfortable ride, good visibility. Goes into and out of 4WD easily, absolutely excellent in snow and on ice. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

You can't get the wipers away from the windshield to wash it!

Incredible
By sae185628

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.5 ft. SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a the 4wd work truck with the upgraded chrome package and seats. It also had the chrome 20 inch Chevy bowtie rims. Absolutely beautiful truck. This is when they came out with the split grille that is much better looking than the 2003-2005 models. Very pleased with this truck. The only reason I got rid of it was because of a round trip commute to work of 60 miles. Gas was going up and I had to do something. I really regret getting rid of it.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage out of the 4wd lineup.

Brakes on my Chevy
By terri

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 2dr Regular Cab 8 ft. LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have driven a Chevy truck for about 20 years now. This 2006 is the first one I've ever had trouble with. Took it back to the dealership in Opelika, Alabama a total of 7 times to get the brakes looked at. Warning lights kept coming on and also the car phone charger hasn't worked since the day it came off the lot. I'm really disappointed in Chevy with this truck. The dealership would not fix it while it was under warranty and the brakes are still having major problems. Hate to say this but probably will not buy another new Chevy.

Favorite Features

Color, body style and look of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to look into keeping the quality in their products... really disappointed in the new trucks. Brake system on my 2006 Silverado is the pits.

My Son Loves This Truck!
By Wade

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my SS used, as I do with all my trucks, and am very pleased with it. The exterior is so much better looking than the standard Silverado. It drives & rides like a Cadillac. I will never buy any other truck than a GM.

Favorite Features

The 6.0L motor is great. It responds nicely when it is stomped on. The front styling is half of what sold me on the truck. I also like the extra room under the rear seat, easier to install sub boxes.

Suggested Improvements

There are only a few things I would improve on. First, I would add a few more stock ponies to the power plant. Second, I would make two tone leather seats & some aluminum accents available for the interior.