Good Truck made Better
By Roger Murvin on
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
I owned a 1999 Silverado LT ext. cab, and found it to be comfortable and dependable. The 2005 has several improvements, mainly dual AC controls, On Star, satelite radio, redundant radio controls, 4th door,but basically the same truck. Turning radius is improved also. Mileage has averaged 17, good for a full sized truck. I drove a Dodge and liked the way it handled, but afraid of the mileage as I've never known anyone with a Hemi that was satisfied with aspect. New truck is quieter, more solid body. Received favorable comments on color (Sport Red Metallic) and lt. gray leather combination.
Favorite Features
Comfortable seats, love the lumbar supports. Heated seats are welcome when the snow flies. AutoTrac a must for me. Good ride for 4WD, important as I often carry bird dogs in the rear (I have a cap). Mechanically proven, no problems at all with old truck.
Suggested Improvements
I have the Heavy Duty suspension, the same as my previous truck. Tried the Z71 package, but a little too stiff over tar strips. The new truck seems "softer" than my old one for some reason, and sometimes "floats" too much over bumps. Firmer front shocks? Sunroof (tilt-up over roof) too small.