Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Most Helpful|
Z71 Package
By Jason

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The current rebates and GM Employee incentive pricing brought me back to the Chevy dealership. I brought the Z71 for about $2,000 below invoice. The power is good since I purchased the power package and the exterior trim is great. The majority of the features are great and there are numerous electronic gadets more than the other brand trucks. The satellite radio is nice extra, which GM does own XM (Great self promotion). In most reviews, the quality of the interior is lacking, which I found to be true in my case. GM needs to upgrade the interior quality and design. It was not much different than my 2000 Silverado interior. At the current price it was a worthwhile buy.

Favorite Features

Satellite Radio and numerious electronic extra features. The Z1 exterior trim is sharp and I would recommend to purchase the power package, which improves your horsepower to 310 and improves your gas mileage over the standard 5.3 V8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the truck could be improved, especially the interior which has been been around for a very long time. It is time for GM to show some creativity.

A step up
By Ben

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I previously owned a 95 3/4 ton extended cab, 01 1/2 ton extended cab, and now a Z71 Silverado extended cab. This is by far the quitest, best riding of the three. Chevy just keeps getting better. I would enjoy a more attractive interior on the next model I purchase. I love the stereo system (Bose), but it is an option, not standard.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth ride for a truck

Suggested Improvements

Better interior. Only complaint I have.

My First Truck
By msgt_gibson

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The 2005 Chevy Silverado is my very first truck. It rides good and I've had no problems with it. There have been no extra costs outside of routine maintenance. The V6 has sufficient power for my needs. The back seat of the extended cab has adequate space for supplies but is a tight fit for adults. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Favorite Features

I like the simple layout and ease of use of the displays and controls. Seating position and comfort is better than I thought it would be.

Suggested Improvements

I havent seen the newer models but the 2005 interior has too much plastic and cant hold up to its name "Worktruck".

Worst Truck Ever
By X Chevy Fan

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I hate this truck. I bought this truck Brand New. Have had it for 3 yrs now. The day after I bought it the ac blower resister, blower motor and resistor pigtail burn out... at 34 miles. At around 14000 miles, the ignition coil goes out. The list goes on and on. Now have 51000 on it and I have replaced the ac electrical parts 5 times, one tranny, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and countless bulbs. And the instrument cluster went out at around 39000. GM still refuses to replace mine. Been over a year and a half without speedo. Last but not least, the spare tire carrier got jammed. Had to use a cutting torch. Will never buy another. EVER!!!! Next one will be a Toyota .

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Give everybody that bought one of these pieces of junk their money back so they can go buy a truck that will act right and be DEPENDABLE. Probably something imported.

Not a bad truck at 5 years old.
By Trenton

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Recently bought my 2005 ext-cab Z71 silverado 1500 a few months ago, used with 90,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner. Good things: Engine is still very quiet and runs smooth for having 90K on it, great on gas, ride is smooth, 4wd still works, interior in great shape, no electrical or steering problems. Overall still a great truck inside and out. Bad things: Doors rattle a little when driving over rough bumps, transmission shifts hard into 3rd gear and makes a "smack" sound. A/C makes weird gurgle sounds after I turn it off.

Favorite Features

Z71 package, rides smooth for a 4wd, wears the bowtie, A/C is ice cold, good on gas, very comfy seats, very stylish lines.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a smoother shifting transmission and improve the firmness of the doors on the ext cab versions.