Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Honest Truth
By Nathan

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Silverado I have had. The new one is merely a lower mileage upgrade with more warranty. It is a great truck with no real huge problems except... the linkage in the tranny doesn't drop all of the time when you come to a complete stop from about 60mph. Also, the stock tires throw rocks like crazy!! I am a die-hard chevrolet guy though and this is the price that you pay for being brand loyal. I think overall, the truck is a good buy but just make sure you purchase the extended warranty if you are planning on keeping the truck. You won't regret it when something fails on you.

Favorite Features

Definitely the Bose and the XM. But more realistically, the 310hp H.O. 5.3L that gets 21mpg on the interstate at 72 mph with the 3.43 gears.

Suggested Improvements

Get going on a better transmission. Why is it that the consumer has to baby it to make it last?? I want something that is "BUILT LIKE A ROCK"!!!

2005 Z71 Silverado Ext Cab
By Bruce

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great ride, comfortable interior, and good gas mileage, but I don't like the new 3.42 gears. Would like my old 3.73's back.

Favorite Features

Ride and midrange power. 3000RPM to 4000RPM she really pulls.

Suggested Improvements

Lower rearend gearing option with the 5.3L

Excellent Value
By Jim

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Best value in the industry. I looked at all the full size extended cab models out there, and the Chevrolet Silverado was the best buy for the price. I have owned several GM products and all of them were extremely reliable over the long haul. By that I mean they were still reliable with over 100,000 miles. The imports I have had were not.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that you can buy the base truck & then fix it up to suit your taste, not the manufacturers guess of what you want.

Good Truck made Better
By Roger Murvin

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I owned a 1999 Silverado LT ext. cab, and found it to be comfortable and dependable. The 2005 has several improvements, mainly dual AC controls, On Star, satelite radio, redundant radio controls, 4th door,but basically the same truck. Turning radius is improved also. Mileage has averaged 17, good for a full sized truck. I drove a Dodge and liked the way it handled, but afraid of the mileage as I've never known anyone with a Hemi that was satisfied with aspect. New truck is quieter, more solid body. Received favorable comments on color (Sport Red Metallic) and lt. gray leather combination.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, love the lumbar supports. Heated seats are welcome when the snow flies. AutoTrac a must for me. Good ride for 4WD, important as I often carry bird dogs in the rear (I have a cap). Mechanically proven, no problems at all with old truck.

Suggested Improvements

I have the Heavy Duty suspension, the same as my previous truck. Tried the Z71 package, but a little too stiff over tar strips. The new truck seems "softer" than my old one for some reason, and sometimes "floats" too much over bumps. Firmer front shocks? Sunroof (tilt-up over roof) too small.

Better off buying a BRICK
By Charles

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Unfortunately I decided to buy this truck not too long ago, this thing drives like a Brick floating on water.. interier is CHEAP, plastic, no design, fit for nobody really, i wouldnt want to be caught dead in this thing. i suggest to anybody looking to buy a truck, look into something else. its way over priced, and there has been no improvements comparing to past models. I guess GM is going broke for a reason!

Favorite Features

NONE, except i did get to see a nice ford truck from the outside of my window once when i was unfortunately driving down the road in my unfortunate chevy truck..

Suggested Improvements

needs a new interier design, i was dissappointed to see the same design in my over priced truck on a 1999 chevy truck..how lame is that? not to mention how much in price it has dropped in the past year ALONE! this is not a truck..this is a BRICK on 4 wheels.