2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
2005 Chevy Work Truck 5 speed Manual
By Jim on 03/13/08 22:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

A review 3 years down the road for my 2005 Silverado. The old warrior has done great 24-25 MPG highway. Dependable. Comfortable. I drove this truck on 2 500 mile trips non stop with no driver fatigue. This truck was the bottom end 13206 price leader back in 05 when they couldn't give them away (like now) It had 3 issues- the steering shaft- finally got fixed free at 60000 miles/ the heater control assembly, at 36000 miles, and the recirc emissions valve on top of the gas tank at 36000 miles. The truck still has its original tires , brakes and shocks, all in good working order. Clutch works fine. Now it's trade in time. Again, Silverado

05 Work Truck-5 speed
By Jim on 03/10/08 19:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased at year end as a $13,206 dollar closeout. No A/C cheap truck. Excellent value for the money- I'm into the third year on this truck and its still getting 25 MPG, Repair issues (2) were covered by Chevy (Steering link bad and emissions valve on gas tank) Way past 36k cut off on warranty. Truck is driven freeway only. Still has its original tires brakes and shocks. All still good at 70k miles. Would buy another if they made it in a stick. They don't.

2005 Chev Crew Cab Short Box 4X4 Z71
By LJP on 10/04/07 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is one of the best designed Chevy trucks I have owned. Everyone I take for a ride likes the 4 doors and roominess. The comfort is better then most cars I have driven. The match of crew cab and short (5'8" bed) is a perfect blend for my use. The 5.3L coupled with the limited slip 3.42 axle is good on mileage and acceleration. The fuel tank is large enough to get me where I need to go with minimal stops at the outrageously priced gas pumps. All in all, this truck was a hit even with some complaints that I had / have.

A dissappointment
By timbuktu on 08/29/07 10:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After having owned Chevy/GMC trucks most of my life, most of them used, I looked forward to a new, fully equipped version. I was disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. The roof is so thin, it "oilcans" constantly if the wind blows. Multiple trips to the dealer were required to quiet most of window the leaks. Repairs have been required to the drive train, the electrical system, the brakes and the steering system. All after the minimal warranty expired. I'm trading this one in. Too much attention to the excellent bells and whistles and not enough on reliability and "truckness".

Worst Chevy Ever
By x chevy owner on 08/16/07 20:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought and payed for this Silverado thinking it would be a nice truck since I paid over 20k for it. Very basic no extra nothing and the ride was really bad. It started wiggling at 50mph! My wagon had a better ride. I was so disgusted that I let them have it back! Another ex-Chevy owner.

Enough, I'm ready to trade for Tundra
By fish_a_lot on 07/31/07 22:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I too experienced the rattly loose steering shaft. Truck developed the drive line clunk at 5000 miles. Repeat fixes helped but not solved the problem. Lately the drive axle had to be replaced. This breakdown occured while towing my boat. The Tow Mode switch also died on its own. All work was covered by warranty. I'm scared what will happen after the warranty expires with 5000 miles left to go. To that end, I'm trading it in for a new 2007 Tundra. First new vehicle bought, last Chevy I will buy.

I like it, I love it
By tripn3 on 06/19/07 03:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love my SS. I did have a few issues with power but I added a raised plenum, a 8lb turbo boost,borla catback mandrel bent exhaust, and remapped and programmed the computer. I still get about 10 mpg around town and it now makes a awesome sound when you spool up the turbo. I havent really deove it in snow or anything as I live in Texas but the AWD sure helps with the traction. I'll say it again I love it.. Very very fast.

This truck can't be beat!
By chevy guy on 06/14/07 13:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for a little less than 2 years and have put a little over 30,000 miles on it. It's the vehicle that I use every day and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is a capable and comfortable truck that has been nothing but reliable since the day I bought it. All I have ever done is keep up with the regular servicing and it has never failed me. It has good power (5.3 V8 with 3:42 rear end) and returns a combined 17 mpg city/hwy mix all the time! The only problem I have had is that the "Z71" decals began to peel. These were replaced under warranty. That has been the only repair. Resale is very good too! Chevy has my repeat business for sure!!

Love my Silverado!
By LizC864 on 05/02/07 09:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Best vehicle I ever owned. We recently bought a new Honda Odyssey and I drove it for a month before giving hubby the van and taking my Silverado back. There was nothing wrong with the Honda, it's a great vehicle, but I just love my truck.

My First Truck
By msgt_gibson on 04/21/07 20:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The 2005 Chevy Silverado is my very first truck. It rides good and I've had no problems with it. There have been no extra costs outside of routine maintenance. The V6 has sufficient power for my needs. The back seat of the extended cab has adequate space for supplies but is a tight fit for adults. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.