Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Not a bad truck at 5 years old.
By Trenton

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Recently bought my 2005 ext-cab Z71 silverado 1500 a few months ago, used with 90,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner. Good things: Engine is still very quiet and runs smooth for having 90K on it, great on gas, ride is smooth, 4wd still works, interior in great shape, no electrical or steering problems. Overall still a great truck inside and out. Bad things: Doors rattle a little when driving over rough bumps, transmission shifts hard into 3rd gear and makes a "smack" sound. A/C makes weird gurgle sounds after I turn it off.

Favorite Features

Z71 package, rides smooth for a 4wd, wears the bowtie, A/C is ice cold, good on gas, very comfy seats, very stylish lines.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a smoother shifting transmission and improve the firmness of the doors on the ext cab versions.

First Chevy Truck
By T. Gregory

Bought this Z71 used w/26000 miles, never had a Chevy truck before, thought I'd try one. The ride is pretty smooth, kinda like a car. I like the leather seats, they are very comfortable. The truck hauls my boat, 21ft Chaparral with no problems and the truck looks great. Has plenty of room in the back seat for the kiddo's and adults. The satellite radio is great as well as the onstar and built in phone. Have had no issues with anything, everything works and the truck runs like a top. Gas mileage is on par for a full size truck 15/17.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, good looks, smooth tranny and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Ride a little less mushy, more road input.

Worst Truck Ever
By X Chevy Fan

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I hate this truck. I bought this truck Brand New. Have had it for 3 yrs now. The day after I bought it the ac blower resister, blower motor and resistor pigtail burn out... at 34 miles. At around 14000 miles, the ignition coil goes out. The list goes on and on. Now have 51000 on it and I have replaced the ac electrical parts 5 times, one tranny, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and countless bulbs. And the instrument cluster went out at around 39000. GM still refuses to replace mine. Been over a year and a half without speedo. Last but not least, the spare tire carrier got jammed. Had to use a cutting torch. Will never buy another. EVER!!!! Next one will be a Toyota .

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Give everybody that bought one of these pieces of junk their money back so they can go buy a truck that will act right and be DEPENDABLE. Probably something imported.

My 11th Chevy Truck
By classic1957gal

My 2005 Ext Cab is the 11th Chevy truck I've owned (not counting Blazers; have had 4 of them); some I bought new, others used, and tho I tried another brand once, I'll always come back to a Chevy! This truck, like the others, has been a great all- around vehicle to own and drive. Love the style (inside & out), ride, performance and for a 4-wheel drive and my heavy foot, it gets great gas mileage. I can't imagine myself or either of my sons without a "bowtie" in our driveways! That says a lot since I was raised in a "blue oval" family.

Favorite Features

My 05 is equipped with heated leather seats, power sunroof, BOSE stereo, etc.; basically every option you could get. I traded a Cadillac STS for this truck and can honestly say I don't miss the Caddy thanks to the quality of my Chevy.

Suggested Improvements

If it sat a little higher, I wouldn't feel the urge for a future suspension lift.

A dissappointment
By timbuktu

After having owned Chevy/GMC trucks most of my life, most of them used, I looked forward to a new, fully equipped version. I was disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. The roof is so thin, it "oilcans" constantly if the wind blows. Multiple trips to the dealer were required to quiet most of window the leaks. Repairs have been required to the drive train, the electrical system, the brakes and the steering system. All after the minimal warranty expired. I'm trading this one in. Too much attention to the excellent bells and whistles and not enough on reliability and "truckness".

Favorite Features

Heated power leather seats with memory, XM Satelite radio, the electronics in the trip computer. These are wonderful features. The overall comfort and technical sophistication of the truck is great.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better truck, mechanically, and stand behind it for at least 60,000 miles. Put thicker steel on the vehicle so that body panels don't easily deflect, specifcally the hood and the roof. The reliability of the electronically controlled transfer case/4WD is the weakest link.