2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Awful!
By jessicaw1 on 12/13/11 13:18 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ours has been nothing but a problem! They dent VERY easily. The engine light comes on for no reason that the dealer can find. The cd player broke at about 30,000 miles. The console broke at 40,000. All the gauges stopped working at 45,000. When we are in neutral, it read 50 mph, when driving at normal speeds it maxes out. The glove box fell out. The 4 wheel drive got stuck on. It was stuck on for 3 days and was making an awful noise. We finally got it back in 2 wheel drive and the noise is still there. For its age, it has low miles and is not used for anything out of the ordinary. Not even driven everyday. Horrible truck, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!

2005 Chevrolet Silverado
By Bill on 02/25/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

75,000 miles on Vehicle: Replaced brakes at 15,000 miles, 40,000 miles, and 70,000 miles (I have not historically been hard on breaks); Replaced Torque Converter and rebuilt transmission at 40,000 miles; Replaced Intermediate steering shaft at 40,000 miles, 60,000 miles, and 75,000 miles (grease repacked at 30,000 and 70,000). This is apparently a known issue with many models of GM vehicles. Replaced front wheel hub assemblies at 65,000 miles; Transmission clunk while turning at low speeds and accelerating from stop since truck was new. Told by two dealerships that this was a known issue that cannot be resolved. Cannot recommend this vehicle.

Decent Truck
By Truck Lady on 09/25/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like this truck. It handles well, mechanically has only had one problem and that is the tempermental a/c and heat control. I had it replaced when the truck was 3 months old. It went out again shortly after but we had already put 360,000 on it so we couldnt get it replaced. So most of the time it works, but not always. Seat backs are uncomfortable on long drives. Instead of being flat they wrap around and our backs get wedged in and ache after a while. I have to take a pillow for traveling.

2005 Chev Crew Cab Short Box 4X4 Z71
By LJP on 10/04/07 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is one of the best designed Chevy trucks I have owned. Everyone I take for a ride likes the 4 doors and roominess. The comfort is better then most cars I have driven. The match of crew cab and short (5'8" bed) is a perfect blend for my use. The 5.3L coupled with the limited slip 3.42 axle is good on mileage and acceleration. The fuel tank is large enough to get me where I need to go with minimal stops at the outrageously priced gas pumps. All in all, this truck was a hit even with some complaints that I had / have.

Enough, I'm ready to trade for Tundra
By fish_a_lot on 07/31/07 22:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I too experienced the rattly loose steering shaft. Truck developed the drive line clunk at 5000 miles. Repeat fixes helped but not solved the problem. Lately the drive axle had to be replaced. This breakdown occured while towing my boat. The Tow Mode switch also died on its own. All work was covered by warranty. I'm scared what will happen after the warranty expires with 5000 miles left to go. To that end, I'm trading it in for a new 2007 Tundra. First new vehicle bought, last Chevy I will buy.

Chev Z71 Crew Cab 2005
By Truck Buyer on 02/24/07 17:29 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle is very comfortable on long and short trips. 4X4 has gotten me through off road terrain as well as some fairly deep snow! Family feels very safe in this truck!

Electrical nightmare
By mmscott on 10/15/06 07:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is a lemon. The heater control has been replaced. The 4 wheel drive system has a new dash switch, transfer case switch and control module and it still puts itself into 4x4. I would not recommend a Chevrolet to anybody. Also the radio will not turn on at times. The display works but there is no audio.

My New Wheels
By Z71 on 06/24/06 18:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really do enjoy driving this new Chevy. I have been a Chevy man since my first at 16 years old, a 1956 black 2 door sedan. Wish I still had it!! I like its smooth handling, it's tough, rugged, raw power. I take it out on the beach with my lady, who is a surfer, and with its 17 inch wheels, it is an effortless task. It also handles all my fishing gear with plenty of room to spare. With two sons and three grandsons, everyone rides in comfort! I also do a bit of yard work here and there, and towing my tractor is a breeze! Power, comfort, dependability, and it's a Chevy. What more could a guy ask for!

Gotta Love It!
By 05Z71 on 12/17/05 23:16 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If you want a real truck that can work, haul the kids, tow the boat and look good while your doing it--- This is the right pick. Just make sure you have a gas card because you will find yourself always wanting to go for a ride.

Awesome Truck
By C on 09/27/05 23:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck and it is great. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not lose any fuel economy when I moved into this truck from a mid size SUV. Chevy truly has made a great truck. I have had the truck going on ten months. It handles wonderfully both on and off road through out various speeds. I wish would have purchased one of these sooner.