Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Awful!
By jessicaw1

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ours has been nothing but a problem! They dent VERY easily. The engine light comes on for no reason that the dealer can find. The cd player broke at about 30,000 miles. The console broke at 40,000. All the gauges stopped working at 45,000. When we are in neutral, it read 50 mph, when driving at normal speeds it maxes out. The glove box fell out. The 4 wheel drive got stuck on. It was stuck on for 3 days and was making an awful noise. We finally got it back in 2 wheel drive and the noise is still there. For its age, it has low miles and is not used for anything out of the ordinary. Not even driven everyday. Horrible truck, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!

2005 Chevrolet Silverado
By Bill

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

75,000 miles on Vehicle: Replaced brakes at 15,000 miles, 40,000 miles, and 70,000 miles (I have not historically been hard on breaks); Replaced Torque Converter and rebuilt transmission at 40,000 miles; Replaced Intermediate steering shaft at 40,000 miles, 60,000 miles, and 75,000 miles (grease repacked at 30,000 and 70,000). This is apparently a known issue with many models of GM vehicles. Replaced front wheel hub assemblies at 65,000 miles; Transmission clunk while turning at low speeds and accelerating from stop since truck was new. Told by two dealerships that this was a known issue that cannot be resolved. Cannot recommend this vehicle.

Very Comfortable Interior

Overall Quality and Dependability terrible Dealer Customer Service Poor

Decent Truck
By Truck Lady

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like this truck. It handles well, mechanically has only had one problem and that is the tempermental a/c and heat control. I had it replaced when the truck was 3 months old. It went out again shortly after but we had already put 360,000 on it so we couldnt get it replaced. So most of the time it works, but not always. Seat backs are uncomfortable on long drives. Instead of being flat they wrap around and our backs get wedged in and ache after a while. I have to take a pillow for traveling.

Looks, general comfort, dual temp controls,

Fix the miserable temp control, it shouldn't go out at 3 months.

2005 Chev Crew Cab Short Box 4X4 Z71
By LJP

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is one of the best designed Chevy trucks I have owned. Everyone I take for a ride likes the 4 doors and roominess. The comfort is better then most cars I have driven. The match of crew cab and short (5'8" bed) is a perfect blend for my use. The 5.3L coupled with the limited slip 3.42 axle is good on mileage and acceleration. The fuel tank is large enough to get me where I need to go with minimal stops at the outrageously priced gas pumps. All in all, this truck was a hit even with some complaints that I had / have.

I particularly like the temp / compass in the mirror. I like the folding outside rear view mirrors also. The rear folding seats are great! The maneuverability of the truck for driving & parking are excellent.

The brakes on this truck are the only complaint. The entire truck rates high in my view but the brakes, if I had known performed like they do, would have stopped me from buying the first year that Chevy 'cheapened' the truck by leaving 4 wheel disc brakes & going to front disc / rear drum.

Enough, I'm ready to trade for Tundra
By fish_a_lot

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I too experienced the rattly loose steering shaft. Truck developed the drive line clunk at 5000 miles. Repeat fixes helped but not solved the problem. Lately the drive axle had to be replaced. This breakdown occured while towing my boat. The Tow Mode switch also died on its own. All work was covered by warranty. I'm scared what will happen after the warranty expires with 5000 miles left to go. To that end, I'm trading it in for a new 2007 Tundra. First new vehicle bought, last Chevy I will buy.

I loved the interior spacing and comforts. Will miss it when compared to the plasticky Tundra.

Please build Chevy's more reliably or extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 5 year 60K miles.