2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Not a bad truck at 5 years old.
By Trenton on 08/31/10 01:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Recently bought my 2005 ext-cab Z71 silverado 1500 a few months ago, used with 90,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner. Good things: Engine is still very quiet and runs smooth for having 90K on it, great on gas, ride is smooth, 4wd still works, interior in great shape, no electrical or steering problems. Overall still a great truck inside and out. Bad things: Doors rattle a little when driving over rough bumps, transmission shifts hard into 3rd gear and makes a "smack" sound. A/C makes weird gurgle sounds after I turn it off.

First Chevy Truck
By T. Gregory on 01/03/10 15:31 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this Z71 used w/26000 miles, never had a Chevy truck before, thought I'd try one. The ride is pretty smooth, kinda like a car. I like the leather seats, they are very comfortable. The truck hauls my boat, 21ft Chaparral with no problems and the truck looks great. Has plenty of room in the back seat for the kiddo's and adults. The satellite radio is great as well as the onstar and built in phone. Have had no issues with anything, everything works and the truck runs like a top. Gas mileage is on par for a full size truck 15/17.

My 11th Chevy Truck
By classic1957gal on 07/14/09 01:27 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My 2005 Ext Cab is the 11th Chevy truck I've owned (not counting Blazers; have had 4 of them); some I bought new, others used, and tho I tried another brand once, I'll always come back to a Chevy! This truck, like the others, has been a great all- around vehicle to own and drive. Love the style (inside & out), ride, performance and for a 4-wheel drive and my heavy foot, it gets great gas mileage. I can't imagine myself or either of my sons without a "bowtie" in our driveways! That says a lot since I was raised in a "blue oval" family.

A dissappointment
By timbuktu on 08/29/07 10:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

After having owned Chevy/GMC trucks most of my life, most of them used, I looked forward to a new, fully equipped version. I was disappointed in the quality of this vehicle. The roof is so thin, it "oilcans" constantly if the wind blows. Multiple trips to the dealer were required to quiet most of window the leaks. Repairs have been required to the drive train, the electrical system, the brakes and the steering system. All after the minimal warranty expired. I'm trading this one in. Too much attention to the excellent bells and whistles and not enough on reliability and "truckness".

This truck can't be beat!
By chevy guy on 06/14/07 13:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck for a little less than 2 years and have put a little over 30,000 miles on it. It's the vehicle that I use every day and I can honestly say it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is a capable and comfortable truck that has been nothing but reliable since the day I bought it. All I have ever done is keep up with the regular servicing and it has never failed me. It has good power (5.3 V8 with 3:42 rear end) and returns a combined 17 mpg city/hwy mix all the time! The only problem I have had is that the "Z71" decals began to peel. These were replaced under warranty. That has been the only repair. Resale is very good too! Chevy has my repeat business for sure!!

The Rock!
By jsp_parrish on 11/17/06 10:35 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. I have a 10 year plan for it. I push snow with it, pull a heavy trailer, and carry the family around. Can't get any better than this.

Good truck
By Kurt H on 09/10/06 14:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've now owned my Z71 for a little over a year and in general, I'm quite pleased. The engine runs beautifully and sounds as good as it did on day one. The interior and exterior look great with minimal maintenance. We only have one child, and this truck serves as the family vehicle,which it does pretty well. Frankly, with a baby seat in the middle of the back seat, safety for my infant is not a worry and it fits nicely.

11,000 Mile Rundown
By ChevyGuy on 02/10/06 00:03 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I must say that I am extremely happy that I bought my Silverado before GM decided to make them ugly for the '06 model year. The truck is doing fantastic. It is a joy to drive and has little malfunction. The transmission seems a little unsure but functions nonetheless. The mileage is good for the L33 engine and has plenty of range with the 26gal tank. The standard bridgestone dueler tires will throw all the rocks they come across so some ruberized undercoating wouldn't be a bad idea. I highly recommend the Z71 package, it came in really handy in about 14 inches of surface slop during the '05 whitetail season. It's a great truck overall, I cannot complain.

What a sweet ride
By JWH on 11/16/05 18:56 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned the Z71 for about a year and am absolutely satisfied. The ride is extremely smooth and road noise is almost non-existent. The seats are very comfortable (unlike the Ford F- 150 which felt like I was sitting on a slab of concrete). The 5.3 V8 has plenty of get-up-and-go and the mileage is 16.5 city and 19 on the highway. The heated seats are great in Minnesota winters.

Honest Truth
By Nathan on 08/25/05 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Silverado I have had. The new one is merely a lower mileage upgrade with more warranty. It is a great truck with no real huge problems except... the linkage in the tranny doesn't drop all of the time when you come to a complete stop from about 60mph. Also, the stock tires throw rocks like crazy!! I am a die-hard chevrolet guy though and this is the price that you pay for being brand loyal. I think overall, the truck is a good buy but just make sure you purchase the extended warranty if you are planning on keeping the truck. You won't regret it when something fails on you.