Used 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 165 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Not a very good truck
By Phillip V.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine one year ago this week, it has complete car fax records for every service since new, 82K miles on it and no rust, which is amazing since most of these are absolute rust buckets. It had a guage failure on the way home, zero oil pressure, new to the truck I didn't realize faulty guages are normal and a recall item, so it got flat bedded home, one week later the belt flew off, another flat bed trip in for repair, then one cold day a tire went flat while I was driving, we could eventually get the spare down but it was rusted to the lowering mechanism and would not come off, then we couldn't get it to go back up, so flat bed trip number 3 in 3 months. Now the ABS is acting up, another know Silverado issue with the front hubs which will cost another $660 to fix. Since purchase I have driving 7900 miles and spent $2471.00 on repairs and regular service so about $0.24 cents per mile on repairs, gas milage is about 12-14 mpg, not great and the power is very limited on the V-6, on a windy day using the overdrive is a pipe dream, overall the worst truck I have ever owned, can't wait to dump it.

Good Truck
By DamonLee22

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

If there is one thing I can say about this truck, It's reliable. As of today my Silverado has 320K miles, I have had to replaced the front hubs, wheel bearings, and the water pump, and of course the brakes. I had problems with the climate control selectors.. While running the AC there would be a thump and the left side would instantly go to full heat.. And the fan control module melted once, lots of smoke.. The truck still runs pretty strong, but wear to the engine and trans has begun to have an effect on performance.. but she's never left me on the side of the road, and the four wheel drive is still functioning normally. All in all, a very good truck, and if it died today, I couldn't complain.

10 years old and still 26mpg
By Dan Brown

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have used the 8 foot bed for hauling hay, feed, moving furniture, travel, camping, spreading fertilizer, stretching fence, etc. Unladen, it still gets 26mpg on the highway. Still gets 19-23mpg on errands in a very hilly town (1000' elevation changes 2X daily). I credit the 6 cyl engine and manual transmission and 2 wheel drive for that. Without a load, it gets a little light in the back end, so needs ballast for winter driving. Never felt the need for 8 cyl engine, even with a ton+ of hay on board. But I never tried to tow anything, either, so take that into consideration.

Bought it used for 8K in 2009; happy with it. I have not found any full sized pickup with similar fuel efficiency. Bring back the stick shift GM!

2005 Chevy SS
By wileyss

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

At 111,000 miles, best vehicle i have ever owned. Sharp, snappy, and handles like a deram. No major issues other than my heater module has gone out twice. Bought this truck new from an older salesman. His piece of advice was to never sell this truck, and i wont. I live near Lake Tahoe and take this truck skiing often without worry. Have never been stuck. Pulls my enclosed trailer to Sturgis and is my daily commuter.

All

Gas mileage?

Built to take it
By z71gripper

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove my Z71 for 120k miles and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Might be the best vehicle I will every own.
I remember everytime I got behind the wheel I thought it can't be this good everytime. It never let me down.
For one stretch of near 10k miles I didn't reset the full mpg meter and the gage leveled off at 18.7 mpg. That was excellent for a 5.3L
Never did a repair other than a couple of minor jobs under warranty. Reliability was superior to any.

Excellent ride on and off road. Great traction even without mud tire. The AWD did super in ice, snow or mud. Never lost control even on ice. Truely fun to drive in foul weather. Fuel mileage was as high as 23.5mpg on highway. Driver confort was superior with the dual zone air. Never had to

Steering drive line developed a small chatter. Leave the chrome bumper option available. The new models with painted bumpers turned be off. I am driving a F150 because of it. So far its a very good ride.