2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
2005 Chevy SS
By wileyss on 06/26/13 15:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

At 111,000 miles, best vehicle i have ever owned. Sharp, snappy, and handles like a deram. No major issues other than my heater module has gone out twice. Bought this truck new from an older salesman. His piece of advice was to never sell this truck, and i wont. I live near Lake Tahoe and take this truck skiing often without worry. Have never been stuck. Pulls my enclosed trailer to Sturgis and is my daily commuter.

Built to take it
By z71gripper on 02/06/12 19:36 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove my Z71 for 120k miles and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Might be the best vehicle I will every own. I remember everytime I got behind the wheel I thought it can't be this good everytime. It never let me down. For one stretch of near 10k miles I didn't reset the full mpg meter and the gage leveled off at 18.7 mpg. That was excellent for a 5.3L Never did a repair other than a couple of minor jobs under warranty. Reliability was superior to any.

Awful!
By jessicaw1 on 12/13/11 13:18 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ours has been nothing but a problem! They dent VERY easily. The engine light comes on for no reason that the dealer can find. The cd player broke at about 30,000 miles. The console broke at 40,000. All the gauges stopped working at 45,000. When we are in neutral, it read 50 mph, when driving at normal speeds it maxes out. The glove box fell out. The 4 wheel drive got stuck on. It was stuck on for 3 days and was making an awful noise. We finally got it back in 2 wheel drive and the noise is still there. For its age, it has low miles and is not used for anything out of the ordinary. Not even driven everyday. Horrible truck, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!

dont buy a chevey truck
By mattcmore82 on 06/04/11 12:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 chevey silverado crew cab with 52k on it and have had one problem after another. All problems were descibed as very common to fix buy the chevey dealer. I have a very noisy rattling from under the sterrling colum also rattling from the a/c vents and lots of interior lights going out all the time. The dealer told me to fix all these common problems it would be about 1000$. These problems are small but every expensive to fix. I have also had problems with the factory cd player/radio making a buzzing noise threw all speakers and the cd player doesn't even work.

Not a bad truck at 5 years old.
By Trenton on 08/31/10 01:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Recently bought my 2005 ext-cab Z71 silverado 1500 a few months ago, used with 90,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner. Good things: Engine is still very quiet and runs smooth for having 90K on it, great on gas, ride is smooth, 4wd still works, interior in great shape, no electrical or steering problems. Overall still a great truck inside and out. Bad things: Doors rattle a little when driving over rough bumps, transmission shifts hard into 3rd gear and makes a "smack" sound. A/C makes weird gurgle sounds after I turn it off.

Should not have bought this.
By Hodor on 02/28/10 19:28 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Should have gone with anyone but GM. Typical of the brand, speedometer doesn't work and no recall, service air bags notification on, needs third windshield, passenger door doesn't shut right, on third thermostat(non dealer this time), transmission slips but rarely, dealer tires didn't last any time at all. Little interior storage, glovebox doesn't hold much, will have to replace center seat with console storage. Good on gas mileage but V6 underpowered, computer wonky sometimes. Never been contacted about recall items.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado
By Bill on 02/25/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

75,000 miles on Vehicle: Replaced brakes at 15,000 miles, 40,000 miles, and 70,000 miles (I have not historically been hard on breaks); Replaced Torque Converter and rebuilt transmission at 40,000 miles; Replaced Intermediate steering shaft at 40,000 miles, 60,000 miles, and 75,000 miles (grease repacked at 30,000 and 70,000). This is apparently a known issue with many models of GM vehicles. Replaced front wheel hub assemblies at 65,000 miles; Transmission clunk while turning at low speeds and accelerating from stop since truck was new. Told by two dealerships that this was a known issue that cannot be resolved. Cannot recommend this vehicle.

First Chevy Truck
By T. Gregory on 01/03/10 15:31 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this Z71 used w/26000 miles, never had a Chevy truck before, thought I'd try one. The ride is pretty smooth, kinda like a car. I like the leather seats, they are very comfortable. The truck hauls my boat, 21ft Chaparral with no problems and the truck looks great. Has plenty of room in the back seat for the kiddo's and adults. The satellite radio is great as well as the onstar and built in phone. Have had no issues with anything, everything works and the truck runs like a top. Gas mileage is on par for a full size truck 15/17.

Worst Truck Ever
By X Chevy Fan on 09/23/09 02:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I hate this truck. I bought this truck Brand New. Have had it for 3 yrs now. The day after I bought it the ac blower resister, blower motor and resistor pigtail burn out... at 34 miles. At around 14000 miles, the ignition coil goes out. The list goes on and on. Now have 51000 on it and I have replaced the ac electrical parts 5 times, one tranny, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, and countless bulbs. And the instrument cluster went out at around 39000. GM still refuses to replace mine. Been over a year and a half without speedo. Last but not least, the spare tire carrier got jammed. Had to use a cutting torch. Will never buy another. EVER!!!! Next one will be a Toyota .

My favorite of 8 trucks
By RIck in Houston on 08/02/09 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned 8 GM manufactured pickup trucks since about 1990. They all performed well. Based on my experience, I wouldn't consider another brand. But of all of the trucks I've owned, the '05 crew cab is by far my favorite. Little things like dual thermostat, 60/40 split front seat, e/q for stereo & more made this truck a bargain. I bought it new, changed the oil, put 2 sets of tires on it & one battery. That has been the extent of my maintainence. Runs like a top, great on gas, what can I say? I hate to let her go, but it's time for a new one.