Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Silverado Clunker
By LA Watts

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is a good looking vehicle but the constant clunking is very annoying. GM says that it is normal due to torque buildup between transmission and transfer case. They also say they have changed the transmission for 2005 model to eliminate the problem. They offer an extended warranty for free but I already have it. They sent an engineer out to drive it and he reported a definite problem but they still claim that it is normal. Why won't they stand behind their vehicle and repair the problem . Very unhappy with GM over this vehicle.

None that overcome the irritation caused by the clunking

Replace the transmission with one that does not clunk

REAL HAPPY SO FAR
By PAULARGETYPE

LETS SEE I LIKE A LOT ABOUT THIS TRUCK I GOT RED WITH OUT THE FENDER FLAIRS IT LOOKS GREAT ALSO THE ALUM. WHEELS CLEAN UP EASY AND LOOK GREAT IT'S GOT GREAT POWER IN THE 5.3 VORTC ENGINE I LIKE THE RAIDO AND OTHER CONTROLS ON THE STEERING WHEEL THE CUP HOLDERS ARE EASY TO GET AND AND ARE NOT IN THE WAY THE REAR DOORS ARE EASY TO OPEN AND MAKE IT REAL EASY TO GET IN THE BACK SEAT

I JUST LOVE THE REAR VIEW MIRRIRS ON THE OUT SIDE WITH THE LIGHTS TO TELL OTHERS WHEN I'M ABOUT TO CHANGE LANES

I'M A BIG GUY I WOULD LIKE WIDER SEATS MINE HAS 40/20/40 IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU COULD GET THE 60/40 SEAT AGAIN

Good Truck
By DKWinnie

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I owned an 04 ford F150, and it had a smoother, quieter ride and I liked the look better, but the Silverado is a significantly better made truck and just "feels" more durable and I am much happier with it. I also liked the look of the F150 interrior and seats but the controls and placement in the silverado is much better. All in all I am much happier in the Silverado than I was in the F150 though both have their strong and weak points.

Change the Body style please!!!!! Roll down windows in the back are nice. I think Ford got it right on that one. A little less road noise in the cab would ne nice too. Great truck though!!

Fun Fantasy
By David A Clawson

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have always wanted to own a truck. Now that I'm retired, I finally have one and I love it. I use it to pull a pop-up camper that I used to pull with my wife's Trailblazer. Although the Trailblazer did good, the Silverado is excellent! You don't even know it's there. The only problem I have is my wife wants to drive it all the time (her Trailblazer is an '02 LTZ with all the goodies)! The mileage is not great but is better than I expected, even when pulling the pop-up. If the cost of repairs matches the Trailblazer, I will be happy.

I have the trailer towing package and was very impressed with how little I had to add (trailer brake controller,which "plugs in", and a hitch) to get rv'ing. The trailer tow selector on the transmission is very impressive. I am also amazed at the use of computers in vehicles today.

At this time, the only improvement I would like to see would be a switch selector for the 4WD (like the Trailblazer has) instead of the lever on the floor.

GM Excellence?
By jdfosterdad

1. We had engine performance issues from the start. The computer was reflashed 3 times. 2. At about 45,000 the engine began to knock when first started in the morning which sounded like piston slap, at 75,000 it was getting hard to start and compression on 3 cylinders was measured at 70-75 pounds. The motor had to be replaced. Since the motor, the transmission has had to be replaced. 3. We had performance issues, engine problems because of a poorly designed pistons and transmission failure, all were asked to be addressed under warranty and promises were made and in the end ignored. 4. Would I by another Silverado? I,ve been a GM customer for 30 years and can safely say NOWAY!!!!!

None

Fix the defrosters to hit the windshield completely. Make the gas pedal easier to use when on long drives you try to rest your foot on the floor board. Make a dependable motor. Get rid of the gurgling sound in the heater core. Improve overall computer strategy for better engine, trans performance

• SUV