Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

One weird Chevy
By Ryan

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

We had bought this truck as a replacement for the car we had. We live in the mountains of Colorado and had a few problems with the factory tires and ice. We changed them out for snow tires or all weather tires and have not had an issue since. The real weirdness started when cyl #1 was acting up. I was on my way back to the dealership with a full load driving across country and I was getting nearly 35MPG with a half functioning piston! The dealer stated that the piston had shattered (after much waiting for warrenty work) and was to be replaced. Since then the truck has gone back to its 21MPG and worked fine! Other than powertrain problems I haven't had any other issues and rate it high.

Body style. Handling while in skids. The engine is a bit small but it is a v6 so I can't complain too much there. For what we paid for it we have a good vehicle

I have a WT package. I have no room for anything in the cab other than me. If possible raise the seats up so that items can be put under the seats, I needed an additional half inch to do what I really needed with it. The limited slip also needs work, it seems to engage at random if one wheel slips.

Solid Truck
By RickOwens

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My 2004 Silverado is a white extended cab LS with the 4.8L V8. I drive in town, highway, use it as a hunting truck, and drive it anywhere I can. It has over 83k now. My last Silverado was sold with 245k on it and my '74 Blazer has 224k so I will be keeping this one with the rock solid Vortec for a long time. All I did to this truck was the tires.

Solid drivetrain, smooth ride, very comfortable interior, very useable truck. Has given me nearly 4 years of trouble free service.

More ergonomic interior and better stereos.

Great Ride
By speedy2890

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

It's a good truck. I tested out the 4wd numerous times and it has pulled me out of sticky situations. Could have more power , but I'm also used to my other truck though. No noises or anything. Pulls trailers like they're not even there. Kids fit great in the back seat. Doesn't turn on a dime though. But for the most part, I love it.

Love the 4WD setup. It has the traction lock 4WD. Love the looks of it.

More power. Bump it up to 400 horses and we will be AOK

TNT SS
By Mark

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a nice truck. Driving, handling, and towing ability is great. The AWD is a nice feature. If you tow a boat, getting out of the water with those steep ramps is easy. The truck has a great look. The gas mileage could be a little better, but compared to the 5.3 gas mileage, that's not bad for 50 more HP. There are not many SS out there, so if you want something that is real and draws attention, this is a great truck in all categories. Just for a few more grand, you will be satisfied. Test drive says it all. I own two SS, 1990 454SS and 2004 SS. Both trucks are excellent.

AWD. 20" chrome wheels, blue paint. Electric folding mirror. Steering wheel stereo controls, 6 disc in dash changer. Leather electric heated seats

The painted bumper gets rock chips too easy. Better gas mileage. More torque and HP. 22" wheels would look better, Adding a sunroof and navigation system as standard features. Make a crew cab SS model.

Love my Chevy
By Rodney

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Comfortable, dependable , and makes me proud I can buy American. It has given me better service than the last two imports that I owned. It tows great too.

Strong engine and nice seats. Bose radio is great too.

Put the new larger engine in a two wheel drive.