2004 Chevy Crew Cab 1500 Z71
By dna4engr on
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
First a few stats: Silver Birch metallic, standard 5.3L V-8, auto, all power options are standard, Z71 offroad package with fender flares, tow package, exterior mirror upgrade, and power seat. I've had the truck for one week and really enjoy it. I wanted the GMC version, but the Chevy dealer was more willing to work on the price. I hated the new Chevy body style (introduced in '03) until they came out with the crew cab, it really adds to the side view. Thought about the new F-150, but didn't like the interior or the brand new engine. I am an engineer and I would rather take my chances with new sheetmetal than a new engine and drivetrain.
Favorite Features
4-Door Crew Cab is great for hauling people and stuff. 5'8" box has been good for hauling most other things. 5.3L power is great. I love the standard dual-zone climate control and the compass/temp in the mirror.
Suggested Improvements
As a former Ford owner, I really miss the steering wheel controls for the cruise (my wifes '03 Impala has them). Make rear HVAC standard for all seating arrangements. If you don't have the bucket seats, one big vent in the dash supplies air to the rear seat.