2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
My Chevy
By Tom on 10/20/08 12:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is so much more reliable than anything I've driven before, which include 2 Ford Rangers, a Ford Expedition, and a Toyota pickup. I haven't had one single problem or issue with it. It needs to be serviced every 3000 miles, but once I went 8,000 miles without an oil change (oops) but it can handle it. On occasion the brakes make noise but I'm not the most conservative driver and I haven't had new breaks installed since I bought it. One time I noticed something was squeaking on the inside cabin, again, this will happen with pretty much every truck, depending on how and where you drive it. Don't use this thing to commute, although it can handle it, it only gets 15-16 mpg on streets

90000k
By madman350 on 09/08/08 18:54 PM (PDT)

This truck still has 1/4" brake shoes left (f+r), which includes towing tandem trailer daily for 1 1/2 yrs. No one I work with owns a more reliable truck even those that cost 40-50K$. I peg the tach almost every day, uses nearly no oil, mpg avgs. 16+ city with AC; 17-19 hwy; 10-12 towing. Interior is very comfortable and no pickup has a colder AC. Here in FL I never have to run the fan past "3" for more than a minute to chase out 100+heat. The x- cab still has a 6'6" bed, Dodge has 6'3" which isn't enough. Much better ride than Dodge, and way better interior instrumentation than XLT Ford. Engine compartment is roomy, allowing ease of maintenance. The bed is low allowing easy loading of very heavy items.

Love my Chevy
By Wendy on 09/08/08 14:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This was my 1st bought new truck & I love it. I live in the country so the 4x4 gets used due to snow & mud and it has always worked like a charm. This is my everyday going to work, pulling stock trailer & my going on vacation vechicle all in one & it does it all. Other then routine oil changes I've never had to put any repair work into it. Only thing that ever happened was the overhead console came loose & I had to tighten the screw that held it. I love this truck & sorry dealerships, but I'm not going to be getting another for years probably even decades cause this is the one for me & is built to last. It still looks brand new inside & out. This is my go there go anywhere reliable truck

My Dream Truck!
By JelliedMooseNose on 01/14/08 00:06 AM (PST)

This truck is awesome! It is all I've ever wanted in a truck. My 4.8 has adequate power now that I have a K&N Cold Air Intake in combination with a Dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. The handling is great and at times I forget how big this vehicle is. This truck has been reliable with no major problems at all. Gas mileage is reasonably well, but like they say, "If I wanted MPG's I would have got a Honda!"

Love My Truck
By Doug from NC on 11/14/07 08:08 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is my baby. It's ready for a night on the town or to help a friend move. It's never let me down and I feel safe and comfortable driving in rain or snow. The auto 4 wheel drive function is what gives me this feeling. 47000 trouble free miles and counting. My second Silverado and I will have it for the next 5 years at least.

OK But typical GM
By Keith Stroup on 11/08/07 18:27 PM (PST)

Bought the truck new in 2004. Had a Dodge Ram 1500, This was a huge step up. Best gas mileage: 21 MPG driving on factory tires thru Ohio / Indiana. Worst gas mileage: 16 MPG driving on larger P265 aftermarket truck tires thru Central PA. I don't like the rear doors, they don't shut right. At 12,000 miles I had to have all rotors turned, they were warped so bad I was afraid to step on the brakes. At 34,000 miles rear rotors rusted & wore the rear pads out?? Chevy blamed it on me...keeping it in a garage & driving it on weekends is too much for rear disc brakes? Excellent 4WD system, like the part-time 4WD feature, comes in very handy on wet roads. At 35K I still like the truck.

Buyer beware!
By Carnie on 10/04/07 10:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck brand new off the lot. 3 1/2 years old and the cylinder head is faulty. $2000+ repair that GM has admitted they knew these cylinder heads were faulty, but they won't step up and help defray repair costs. Truck is starting to rust already and we've had the steering column replaced 2 times so far! I thought Chevy's were built to last?

Excellent truck
By Brian M on 06/11/07 07:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned several Chevys over the years and I have yet to find a better truck out there. Design is good reliability is good and you can't beat the resale value on a 4WD Chevy truck. Overall it's a versatile, comfortable, reliable, American made vehicle.

Solid Truck
By RickOwens on 12/10/06 17:22 PM (PST)

My 2004 Silverado is a white extended cab LS with the 4.8L V8. I drive in town, highway, use it as a hunting truck, and drive it anywhere I can. It has over 83k now. My last Silverado was sold with 245k on it and my '74 Blazer has 224k so I will be keeping this one with the rock solid Vortec for a long time. All I did to this truck was the tires.

Great Ride
By speedy2890 on 10/14/06 09:56 AM (PDT)

It's a good truck. I tested out the 4wd numerous times and it has pulled me out of sticky situations. Could have more power , but I'm also used to my other truck though. No noises or anything. Pulls trailers like they're not even there. Kids fit great in the back seat. Doesn't turn on a dime though. But for the most part, I love it.