2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Good Truck, but...
By Matt on 02/03/10 10:54 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

Good truck
By chris on 01/10/09 19:50 PM (PST)

Bought the truck used with 37000 on it. It has been very reliable up to this point, I now have 60000 miles. I recently purchased a 29ft camping trailer and the truck did fine towing it. Maintaining highway speed was not a problem with the 6000lbs in tow. My only complaint is the brake system. I've tried new rotors and three different types of brake pads, but the brakes don't give you confidence. I wish I had the Hydro-boost system, the vaccum assist brakes are terrible.

Excellent truck
By Brian M on 06/11/07 07:43 AM (PDT)

I have owned several Chevys over the years and I have yet to find a better truck out there. Design is good reliability is good and you can't beat the resale value on a 4WD Chevy truck. Overall it's a versatile, comfortable, reliable, American made vehicle.

Overall quallity
By Chad on 10/20/05 14:28 PM (PDT)

Fun to drive, and very reliable and works well for day to day activities, and excellent for taking out in the wilderness and using it

My deam truck
By Jason Manus on 03/11/05 00:08 AM (PST)

This is the sixth Z71 I have owned since I was 16 years old, and there is no doubt that it is the best as far as quality and features goes. I have always been a part of the Chevy family and I love my truck. It has a 4.10 rear end that has allowed me to pull trailers in excess of 10,000 #s with regularity ( although the tow rating is 9200#s). I spend all day in my truck, as it is my office. And even though I drive it real hard and torture it, it keeps on ticking.

Chevy rules
By Lou on 01/18/05 10:03 AM (PST)

Absolutely 100% pleased with this purchase. The luxury side is great and the truck side is awesome! Mileage is not great, but who cares... I did not buy a Z71 crew cab for the gas economy... :-)

FRUSTRATED
By David Szymanski on 12/31/04 18:50 PM (PST)

In one year this vehicle has been to three different dealer's,a total of eight times for repair. The breaking is terrible, drastick loss of power at times, clunking and grinding in drive train,leather seat seams split. This from what is supposedly a 37,000.00 sticker price... somebody had a bad day!!

Silverado Clunker
By LA Watts on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is a good looking vehicle but the constant clunking is very annoying. GM says that it is normal due to torque buildup between transmission and transfer case. They also say they have changed the transmission for 2005 model to eliminate the problem. They offer an extended warranty for free but I already have it. They sent an engineer out to drive it and he reported a definite problem but they still claim that it is normal. Why won't they stand behind their vehicle and repair the problem . Very unhappy with GM over this vehicle.

REAL HAPPY SO FAR
By PAULARGETYPE on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

LETS SEE I LIKE A LOT ABOUT THIS TRUCK I GOT RED WITH OUT THE FENDER FLAIRS IT LOOKS GREAT ALSO THE ALUM. WHEELS CLEAN UP EASY AND LOOK GREAT IT'S GOT GREAT POWER IN THE 5.3 VORTC ENGINE I LIKE THE RAIDO AND OTHER CONTROLS ON THE STEERING WHEEL THE CUP HOLDERS ARE EASY TO GET AND AND ARE NOT IN THE WAY THE REAR DOORS ARE EASY TO OPEN AND MAKE IT REAL EASY TO GET IN THE BACK SEAT

2004 Z71
By dunc on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Traded in my 03 Pathfinder so I could haul my boat. Hauls good, wish I had gone with the 5.3L towing package. Clunking noise in transmission gets crazy - dealership says Chevy has designed a new slip yolk to rid of this noise (we'll see). Overall a great purchase