Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Good Truck, but...
By Matt

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

Favorite Features

smooth drive and towing

Suggested Improvements

durability of major components. Lost transmission at 53k miles. No excuse.

Good truck
By chris

Bought the truck used with 37000 on it. It has been very reliable up to this point, I now have 60000 miles. I recently purchased a 29ft camping trailer and the truck did fine towing it. Maintaining highway speed was not a problem with the 6000lbs in tow. My only complaint is the brake system. I've tried new rotors and three different types of brake pads, but the brakes don't give you confidence. I wish I had the Hydro-boost system, the vaccum assist brakes are terrible.

Favorite Features

Plenty of power, very comfortable ride, and a simple dash layout.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes.

Excellent truck
By Brian M

I have owned several Chevys over the years and I have yet to find a better truck out there. Design is good reliability is good and you can't beat the resale value on a 4WD Chevy truck. Overall it's a versatile, comfortable, reliable, American made vehicle.

Favorite Features

Electronic 4WD, front towing hooks and power

Suggested Improvements

An auxiliary input on the stereo for easy use with mp3 players

Overall quallity
By Chad

Fun to drive, and very reliable and works well for day to day activities, and excellent for taking out in the wilderness and using it

Favorite Features

Electronic 4WD with Auto 4WD. Great RPM Usage at 4000 to 5000 giving it a lot more power

Suggested Improvements

Better windsheild whipers

My deam truck
By Jason Manus

This is the sixth Z71 I have owned since I was 16 years old, and there is no doubt that it is the best as far as quality and features goes. I have always been a part of the Chevy family and I love my truck. It has a 4.10 rear end that has allowed me to pull trailers in excess of 10,000 #s with regularity ( although the tow rating is 9200#s). I spend all day in my truck, as it is my office. And even though I drive it real hard and torture it, it keeps on ticking.

Favorite Features

Tow capacity, 4x4, Radio controls on steering wheel, engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Only problem I have experienced is with the 4x4 system, when a switch had to be changed. I wish the truck had a higher approach angle and ride height. Not because it actually has caused problems, but because I want it to look as mean as the Dodges and Fords on the road next to me. Lift kit!!