Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Almost the perfect truck
By mobey

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck with 6 miles on the odometer in March 2004. It was recalled for the instrument panel. Very good experience there. While it was under warrenty, I had it in for new Cats and O2 sensors, three times, but never again since. The last warrenty items I had replaced were the comfort control switches. I now have 190,000 miles on the truck and, get this....I'm replacing the brake pads for the first time, and the rotors have very little wear. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Brakes

Suggested Improvements

Fix the exhaust, so the cats don't continually burn out.

Chevy still #1
By Ernie

Purchased in Feb of 2004 and used for service vehicle until retirement. Had truck recalled for bad instrument panel but our fantastic dealer took care of it. Took it on vacation to CO, WY, and SD. Street driving gets 18MPG and interstate at 75 - 80 MPH gets 22 to 23 MPG. My 9th new GM product since 1968. I drive them 135,000 to 180,000 and have never had to replace brakes. Luv my Silverado.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling and MPG

My Chevy
By Tom

This truck is so much more reliable than anything I've driven before, which include 2 Ford Rangers, a Ford Expedition, and a Toyota pickup. I haven't had one single problem or issue with it. It needs to be serviced every 3000 miles, but once I went 8,000 miles without an oil change (oops) but it can handle it. On occasion the brakes make noise but I'm not the most conservative driver and I haven't had new breaks installed since I bought it. One time I noticed something was squeaking on the inside cabin, again, this will happen with pretty much every truck, depending on how and where you drive it. Don't use this thing to commute, although it can handle it, it only gets 15-16 mpg on streets

Favorite Features

Reliability, roominess, handling

Suggested Improvements

Highway/street modes. Make the rear doors open the same as front.

90000k
By madman350

This truck still has 1/4" brake shoes left (f+r), which includes towing tandem trailer daily for 1 1/2 yrs. No one I work with owns a more reliable truck even those that cost 40-50K$. I peg the tach almost every day, uses nearly no oil, mpg avgs. 16+ city with AC; 17-19 hwy; 10-12 towing. Interior is very comfortable and no pickup has a colder AC. Here in FL I never have to run the fan past "3" for more than a minute to chase out 100+heat. The x- cab still has a 6'6" bed, Dodge has 6'3" which isn't enough. Much better ride than Dodge, and way better interior instrumentation than XLT Ford. Engine compartment is roomy, allowing ease of maintenance. The bed is low allowing easy loading of very heavy items.

Favorite Features

Very quiet and trouble free 5.3. Smooth tranny. Locking differential enables 2wd to dominate sugar sand. Travels fast, easily, and economically. Extremely bright headlamps. The interior chimes don't drive you crazy like Ford. Roomy interior and engine compartment. Simple design=reliability. Very easy and cheap to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Make the sheet metal stronger. Add 2-5 xtra gallon tank capacity. Offer factory applied camo version for off roaders/hunters. Split rear seat. Make more z-71's available with floor transfer case shifter.

My Dream Truck!
By JelliedMooseNose

This truck is awesome! It is all I've ever wanted in a truck. My 4.8 has adequate power now that I have a K&N Cold Air Intake in combination with a Dual Flowmaster 40 series exhaust. The handling is great and at times I forget how big this vehicle is. This truck has been reliable with no major problems at all. Gas mileage is reasonably well, but like they say, "If I wanted MPG's I would have got a Honda!"

Favorite Features

The interior room is great for someone my height (6'4), the exterior styling is the best on the road, the steering wheel controls are really easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Really the only improvement would be the stereo in my opinion. They should make the Bose audio system standard on all model configurations.