2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Almost the perfect truck
By mobey on 06/05/11 05:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck with 6 miles on the odometer in March 2004. It was recalled for the instrument panel. Very good experience there. While it was under warrenty, I had it in for new Cats and O2 sensors, three times, but never again since. The last warrenty items I had replaced were the comfort control switches. I now have 190,000 miles on the truck and, get this....I'm replacing the brake pads for the first time, and the rotors have very little wear. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Dependable
By dependable on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used. This truck has gone through hell and back. I have never had any major problems with it. Great truck for the northeast and the snow. For a truck it is not bad on gas. I get 16 in the city and up to 23 on the highway.

Z71 Bliss
By Mark on 07/16/10 15:48 PM (PDT)

My truck is a daily driver in the city but also a back road wonder on the weekends. In the winter I use four wheel drive for duck hunting with my sons in the country. It has been from Texas to California and many Colorado trips. It look good in the field, but when it is cleaned up it looks good under the city lights. Safe, dependable and a real pleasure. Maybe the best vehicle I have ever owned, out of maybe 11-12 cars and trucks.

Good 4x4
By CP on 03/06/10 07:32 AM (PST)

I purchased used with 40,000 miles for the 4x4. I live in a semi-rural area and the roads don't get treated. I have the 5.3 V8, and G80 locker. For the two months I've driven, it has worked like a charm. Been using the AutoTrac 4x4 which is the button system that goes into 4WD Auto, which is AWD. Had to dig the wheels out a little when I drove into 3' high snow in my driveway. I rocked the truck back and forth a couple of times and was out. I get around 20 mpg on country roads and highway. I don't drive heavy footed, usually 65-75 hwy. Only thing that I find annoying is the wipers can't be lifted off the windshield when it snows, because of the hood design. Takes longer to clean the window.

Chevy still #1
By Ernie on 02/19/10 09:02 AM (PST)

Purchased in Feb of 2004 and used for service vehicle until retirement. Had truck recalled for bad instrument panel but our fantastic dealer took care of it. Took it on vacation to CO, WY, and SD. Street driving gets 18MPG and interstate at 75 - 80 MPH gets 22 to 23 MPG. My 9th new GM product since 1968. I drive them 135,000 to 180,000 and have never had to replace brakes. Luv my Silverado.

Good Truck, but...
By Matt on 02/03/10 10:54 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased new in late 03. Has been a very good truck for me. About 1000 miles a year I would tow loads that are 75% of max according to the tech manual. No issues on engine or trans for 50k miles. In fact, it towed like a dream. At 53k miles I lost my transmission. No excessive driving or cliff jumping. It broke without warning coming out of a church parking lot and costs me $3k to replace the entire transmission. IMHO there’s no excuse for a transmission to break at 53k miles. Truck is out of warranty so the cost is on me. Chevy dealership says, “so sorry. What a rare oddity to lose a trans at 53k miles”. I’ll remember that at trade-in time.

I LOVE MY TRUCK ?
By curtis crockett on 12/27/09 13:52 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my chevy on base from owning previously a chevy truck A 2000 three quarter ton. My idea was good luck once, good luck twice and was not disappointed. Driving my truck i felt empowered good on the road and safe knowing i was driving a chevy and the way it drove. Problems minimal only wear and tare issues. It seemed when problems come it was never with the engine or transmission just suspension type issues. My truck has run for two lifetimes and was only made, type and model at the end of 2003 for issue on the floor for 2004!!. Mind you me that is something worth.

Perfect homeowner truck
By Ozzy on 02/15/09 06:43 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it new Jan 2004. At 60,0000 miles I bought the first set of tires and brakes. ]I get 15 mpg city, 18 mpg highway with 4.8 liter. ] The 4WD is great in the northeast. Truck cruises at 70mph feels like a sedan, yes, there is road noise, its a truck. Nothing replaced so far, did not have to bring it to the dealer once! If you need or want a truck, take a serious look at a GM.

4x4
By ken on 01/21/09 09:10 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

All in all it is a good truck. Have trouble with speedometer and tach gauges. Company does not stand behind product and will not fix. Also trouble with front 4x4, having trouble fixing, speakers don't work then they work

Good truck
By chris on 01/10/09 19:50 PM (PST)

Bought the truck used with 37000 on it. It has been very reliable up to this point, I now have 60000 miles. I recently purchased a 29ft camping trailer and the truck did fine towing it. Maintaining highway speed was not a problem with the 6000lbs in tow. My only complaint is the brake system. I've tried new rotors and three different types of brake pads, but the brakes don't give you confidence. I wish I had the Hydro-boost system, the vaccum assist brakes are terrible.