Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2004 Silverado XCab 5.3 with Engine Issues
By Sky

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new. Put the majority of miles on the truck between 2004-09; then, as planned, kept it as my 'chore' truck. 4-5k miles per year, max. Always light duty use. In 2013, at 79k miles the Head cracked - coolant in engine. $4500 repair. Dealer. There is a 'service bulletin' which implies a manufacturing defect, issued in 2006. CasTech Heads (see #06-06-01-019B bulletin). 1250 miles and 8 months later the 'check oil' light came on. The engine was 4-ish quarts low on oil! So I took it back to the dealer (I was working out of the area at the time so very little use). Their response? Can't find anything wrong; we must have forgotten to put the oil in the engine properly after the repair. Seriously? You told me that after a $4500 repair that your mechanic can't put oil in the engine? Bottom line: they didn't know and they weren't going to do anything. So I continued to drive it - very light duty. 20 months later with 84,600 miles: I check the oil (about 3800 miles since the 'top off at the dealer) and: down 3.15 qts! I take it directly back to the dealer. Dealer won't take responsibility AT ALL. I'm supposed to do an every 1000 mile 'oil consumption' test where I take it in for a top-off to see how much oil it has consumed. Not 1 mile over 1000 miles or start again! All this is to get GM to pay. The dealer assumes no liability for its work (and I might add, premium cost for the repair). Upshot: Be careful of these engines. There is a lot out there about oil consumption on these engines. This one DOES NOT have the 'stop cylinder' technology, but the engines have the same problem over multiple years. Plenty about the head and oil consumption out on the internet. In terms of the rest of the truck, its been ok, but the interior dash buzzes incessantly at certain RPMs. I noted on several of the trucks that interior fit was awful; fortunately I did not experience this. Paint is generally ok. No problems with the tranny, wheels, steering, AC - but it only has 84k miles. So much for buying a quality vehicle I could drive for 25 years (which was the plan).

Best purchase of the year
By chris

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck used with under 26000 miles. Great truck and plenty of room for me and the crew inside the cab. Traded in my 1979 Silverado and haven't looked back. These Chevys are built to last as my last truck was a testiment to that fact. The 04 drives like a car and handles like a dream. The 5.3 liters is more than enough power to pass the folks doing 75 MPH in the fast lane. The Bose stereo has lots of thump for the headbangers and air guitarist. Caution air guitar is not recommended while driving. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing except for not buying this truck sooner.

Radio steering wheel controls. Towing capability is awesome. Bose stereo rocks. Instrument panel is easy to read and laid out nicely. Seats are comfortable enough to fall asleep. Interior on the Crew Cab has plenty of room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back. Dual climate control.

I miss the 8 ft bed of my old truck. With my tool box installed I have little room for much hauling. I solved this by purchasing a nice set of ladder racks for about $500. Gas mileage is less than advertised at about 13 city 18 hiway. Interior design is pretty plain but I could add a trim kit later.

Quality Defined. Yep, It Is A Chevy
By Rhett

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Three years later and its still going strong. No diminished qualities. The only repair outside of standard oil changes has been the steering column bearing and the A/C diverter actuator. No big deal either time. The warranty covered it all. Nice riding vehicle. All two-wheel- drive Chevys historically have the porpoising front ends on hilly/bumpy roads, this one is no different. But, I bought a truck not an El Dorado.

XM standard, rear end gearing, rear seat entertainment system, good sight lines.

More durable seat fabric, especially on the edges near the doors.

Great truck
By JeffH07

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned 6 Silverado's over the last 15 years. this truck has been one of the best I owned. A lot of room for the kids, and very smooth ride. This truck had one problem that would not go away even after four visit's to the dealership, a rattle in the steering column. The only reason that I'm trading this in is to get a 1500HD to pull our new RV. Also all my brothers and my brother-in- laws are ford pickup guys but I'd rather drive a truck than a pickup.

My favorite feature would have to be four doors, and the great gas mileage.

Chevrolet should have put the 17" and 18" wheels for this year model and went with a full size short bed instead of cutting it down.

Worst Chevy Ever
By shopbum

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of GM products over the years, and never have I disliked a truck as much as this one. It has been one problem after another. First the cowl was leaking into the cab, then the rear passenger windows would not deal, the the keyless entry locked me out on about 20 occasions...I could go on and on. Never again will I buy a GM after the worst time in my life.

The day I sell it will be my favorite part of the truck.

Go back to building quality vehicles, and stop the mass producing that came up with this piece of junk

• SUV