Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2004 Silverado XCab 5.3 with Engine Issues
By Sky

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought truck new. Put the majority of miles on the truck between 2004-09; then, as planned, kept it as my 'chore' truck. 4-5k miles per year, max. Always light duty use.

In 2013, at 79k miles the Head cracked - coolant in engine. $4500 repair. Dealer. There is a 'service bulletin' which implies a manufacturing defect, issued in 2006. CasTech Heads (see #06-06-01-019B bulletin). 1250 miles and 8 months later the 'check oil' light came on. The engine was 4-ish quarts low on oil! So I took it back to the dealer (I was working out of the area at the time so very little use). Their response? Can't find anything wrong; we must have forgotten to put the oil in the engine properly after the repair. Seriously? You told me that after a $4500 repair that your mechanic can't put oil in the engine? Bottom line: they didn't know and they weren't going to do anything. So I continued to drive it - very light duty.

20 months later with 84,600 miles: I check the oil (about 3800 miles since the 'top off at the dealer) and: down 3.15 qts! I take it directly back to the dealer. Dealer won't take responsibility AT ALL. I'm supposed to do an every 1000 mile 'oil consumption' test where I take it in for a top-off to see how much oil it has consumed. Not 1 mile over 1000 miles or start again! All this is to get GM to pay. The dealer assumes no liability for its work (and I might add, premium cost for the repair).

Upshot: Be careful of these engines. There is a lot out there about oil consumption on these engines. This one DOES NOT have the 'stop cylinder' technology, but the engines have the same problem over multiple years. Plenty about the head and oil consumption out on the internet.

In terms of the rest of the truck, its been ok, but the interior dash buzzes incessantly at certain RPMs. I noted on several of the trucks that interior fit was awful; fortunately I did not experience this. Paint is generally ok. No problems with the tranny, wheels, steering, AC - but it only has 84k miles. So much for buying a quality vehicle I could drive for 25 years (which was the plan).

good truck
By joseph oliphant

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

love my truck even with a 32 in. tire I'm getting almost 18 miles to the gal. bought it with 108 thousand miles on it and its still strong. there are a few things that do kinda bug me though i have no tach it just doesn't work and the speedometer works when it feels like it and the lights work sometimes off and on mainly running lights and the rear windows roll up and down by themselves.

body style and durability though I'm not a fan of torsion bars I'm warming up to the idea they are not bad the auto 4 wheel drive button

if you don't like the rake of the truck buy the 2.5 in. torsion keys, it's around 80 bucks with that tires 285s will fit with no offset rims no lift just the 2.5 keys and you have no rubbing even off road and they fill the fender wells nicely

Best purchase of the year
By chris

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this truck used with under 26000 miles. Great truck and plenty of room for me and the crew inside the cab. Traded in my 1979 Silverado and haven't looked back. These Chevys are built to last as my last truck was a testiment to that fact. The 04 drives like a car and handles like a dream. The 5.3 liters is more than enough power to pass the folks doing 75 MPH in the fast lane. The Bose stereo has lots of thump for the headbangers and air guitarist. Caution air guitar is not recommended while driving. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing except for not buying this truck sooner.

Radio steering wheel controls. Towing capability is awesome. Bose stereo rocks. Instrument panel is easy to read and laid out nicely. Seats are comfortable enough to fall asleep. Interior on the Crew Cab has plenty of room in the rear even with the front seats all the way back. Dual climate control.

I miss the 8 ft bed of my old truck. With my tool box installed I have little room for much hauling. I solved this by purchasing a nice set of ladder racks for about $500. Gas mileage is less than advertised at about 13 city 18 hiway. Interior design is pretty plain but I could add a trim kit later.

Quality Defined. Yep, It Is A Chevy
By Rhett

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Three years later and its still going strong. No diminished qualities. The only repair outside of standard oil changes has been the steering column bearing and the A/C diverter actuator. No big deal either time. The warranty covered it all. Nice riding vehicle. All two-wheel- drive Chevys historically have the porpoising front ends on hilly/bumpy roads, this one is no different. But, I bought a truck not an El Dorado.

XM standard, rear end gearing, rear seat entertainment system, good sight lines.

More durable seat fabric, especially on the edges near the doors.

Like a rock
By mtnman

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After 2 1/2 years of ownership experience and 40K+ of driving this truck continues to be one of if not the best vehicle I've owned. For a full size 4x4 5000lbs. truck, gas mileage is very good. Minding the speed limit will net 21 MPG on the interstate. Only one problem in ownership, bad power steering pump replaced under warranty around 10K miles. I grew up in a blue oval family and have owned different makes and models of all vehicles, foreign and domestic. As stated above I have no regrets about this truck. I would highly recommend GM products based on this ownership experience. (I wouldn't have done so just a few years ago.) Great job Chevy. Keep on making these classic bowties!

Gas mileage for full size 4x4. Comfort and ride

I honestly have no complaints about the truck