Used 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Almost the perfect truck
By mobey

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck with 6 miles on the odometer in March 2004. It was recalled for the instrument panel. Very good experience there. While it was under warrenty, I had it in for new Cats and O2 sensors, three times, but never again since. The last warrenty items I had replaced were the comfort control switches. I now have 190,000 miles on the truck and, get this....I'm replacing the brake pads for the first time, and the rotors have very little wear. This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Brakes

Suggested Improvements

Fix the exhaust, so the cats don't continually burn out.

Dependable
By dependable

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used. This truck has gone through hell and back. I have never had any major problems with it. Great truck for the northeast and the snow. For a truck it is not bad on gas. I get 16 in the city and up to 23 on the highway.

Favorite Features

four wheel drive ac the 5.3 just a nice engine.

Suggested Improvements

brakes are made too small

Z71 Bliss
By Mark

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My truck is a daily driver in the city but also a back road wonder on the weekends. In the winter I use four wheel drive for duck hunting with my sons in the country. It has been from Texas to California and many Colorado trips. It look good in the field, but when it is cleaned up it looks good under the city lights. Safe, dependable and a real pleasure. Maybe the best vehicle I have ever owned, out of maybe 11-12 cars and trucks.

Favorite Features

Seats are like sitting in a comfortable lounge chair. The AC gets compliments in 100-110 degree heat. Powerful engine and smooth transmission. Great ride comfort.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of one change I would make on this make, model and year.

good truck
By joseph oliphant

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

love my truck even with a 32 in. tire I'm getting almost 18 miles to the gal. bought it with 108 thousand miles on it and its still strong. there are a few things that do kinda bug me though i have no tach it just doesn't work and the speedometer works when it feels like it and the lights work sometimes off and on mainly running lights and the rear windows roll up and down by themselves.

Favorite Features

body style and durability though I'm not a fan of torsion bars I'm warming up to the idea they are not bad the auto 4 wheel drive button

Suggested Improvements

if you don't like the rake of the truck buy the 2.5 in. torsion keys, it's around 80 bucks with that tires 285s will fit with no offset rims no lift just the 2.5 keys and you have no rubbing even off road and they fill the fender wells nicely

Good 4x4
By CP

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Z71 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased used with 40,000 miles for the 4x4. I live in a semi-rural area and the roads don't get treated. I have the 5.3 V8, and G80 locker. For the two months I've driven, it has worked like a charm. Been using the AutoTrac 4x4 which is the button system that goes into 4WD Auto, which is AWD. Had to dig the wheels out a little when I drove into 3' high snow in my driveway. I rocked the truck back and forth a couple of times and was out. I get around 20 mpg on country roads and highway. I don't drive heavy footed, usually 65-75 hwy. Only thing that I find annoying is the wipers can't be lifted off the windshield when it snows, because of the hood design. Takes longer to clean the window.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't matter now. Its an 04. The newer trucks look bloated. Go back to older body styles.