Silverado SS
By dcairns on
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)
Rather pricey, but it has every gadget in the Chevy parts bin. The only thing missing is excess power I wanted. Sadly that is still Ford's domain. There is plenty of power, great cornering and AWD for sure traction. The ride is firm but smooth and generally comfortable. There is a harmonic bouncing on some concrete freeways. Cab noise is very low. The rear view mirror is a bit low for me, blocking forward view at the horizon line. The sun visor in the side position, blocks too much of my view left. The truck has a solid feel to it and I have found no flaws in the exterior metal work or paint. The styling is well suited for the SS and looks great.
Favorite Features
Smooth power. The stereo is clear and has good bass XM Radio Separate Climate controls (the wife always likes it warmer than me). Distinctive styling. I think the "aggressive" styling works well on the SS.
Suggested Improvements
More power!! Factory supercharger is needed to give credence to the SS nameplate. Some more tuning on the suspension to eliminate concrete freeway bounce. Chromed or polished aluminum wheels, instead of the painted aluminum. Why did they paint the beautiful aluminum wheels silver?