Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

5th Chevy truck owned
By Kevin

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This has been my 5th Chevy truck since 1990. I've had some good ones and some not so good ones. This one so far is good except for some squeaks from the extended doors and a clunking noise in the steering. The gas mileage from the 4.8l is good at around 20mpg. The power is there when you need it. Over all this has been a good truck so far. The service department just needs to get a few bugs worked out and I'll be very happy.

Favorite Features

Power, smooth tranny, good ride

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the squeaks in the extended cab doors, firmer seats

Poor quality
By rt

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

In the first 22,000 miles I had to take this truck back to the dealer 9 times. I am constantly having problems with the windshield wipers, and various squeaks and rattles from the dash. Had to have the transmission reprogramed because it was clunking, the bed repainted because it was peeling, the steering shaft fixed becuase it was knocking, and many minor repairs, like the cigarette lighter not working. However, if the truck did not have these problems I would have been very satisfied with it. But based on the experience I have had I would not get another Chevy.

Favorite Features

Drives nice and is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the quality. had less problems with the Ford Ranger I traded in, and that truck had over 100,000 miles on it. Also, the interior looks cheap because of all the plastic.

Quadrasteer
By roadflyt

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Best overall truck I have had in the last 40 yrs. Interior material is not as good as older Chevy trucks but design is good. Averages 16-18 mpg with good perfomance (5.3v8).

Favorite Features

Quadrasteering is great for towing and manuvering my trailer

Suggested Improvements

Put in quality seat material and carpeting, not the cheap stuff in has.

Should have bougt a Ford
By Back to Ford

Owned it for a year and a half know and it has been in the shop 7 times. Latest left me stranded on the Interstate when the fuel pump went out. To date a/c has gone out twice (computer), rear brakes broke in the locked position(dealer said they were installed from the factory incorrectly), transmission has been reprogrammed twice for clunking (build quality), steering shaft has been replaced for knocking (build quality), and the latest fuel pump fiasco. (who knows why the fuel pump quit at 25K.

Favorite Features

Looks good when it is not in the shop

Suggested Improvements

Build quality.

Love this truck
By mrjaod

I boutght this used in July '04. I was amazed at the amount of space in the back when compared to the Ford F150 Ext. cab. I have the 4.8l V8 and I think it has plenty of power and about the same mileage as the V-6. I love the standard items that come with this truck (dual zone A/C, CD player, Keyless entry, etc.). It is a sharp looking truck and I plan on owning it for a long time to come. Good Job, Chevy!

Favorite Features

The standard items which include dual zone A/C, CD player, Keyless entry, P/W, P/DL, Cruise. Plenty of room in the back seat for the kids and even a smaller aduelt. Seats are comfortable. Engine has plenty of power (for me, that is).

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage is not the greatest. Not as good as advertised, that's for sure. I get around 16 around town. Some of the interior is a bit on the cheap plastic side. I would have thought that a $29,000 truck would have more quality put into the interior panels.