2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Quality Issues Already
By Unhappy Owner on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased an '03 Silverado 3 days ago & already its at the shop. A vacuum assist pump is continually running making a very load noise from behind the dash. The dealer says they can't do anything & that this noise annoys their mechanics also. Numerous mechanics have complained about this noise, but Chevy corporate has done nothing. Good old American engineering! It’s been 21 years since my last Chevy & the experience is starting out like the last one (bad!). Also, had a paint problem upon delivery. If Chevy keeps this up there will be many unemployed Chevy workers looking for jobs at 711.

2-3 upshift clunk junk
By bhart7 on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

i bought this vehicle brand new and around 2,000 miles it started to have a loud clunk noise in the transmission when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear. it has been progresively getting worse and Chevrolet will not do anything about it. They realize there is a problem with these transmissions. ....when it shifts it is so loud you think the universal joints are going to pop out. They have responded telling me that "it is a mometary reversal of the transmission output Chevy says "even if we replace the transmission we can't guarantee that the next one won't have the same problem. Want a Silverado headache????????

yep
By cplsaccoccio on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

very strong, comfortable truck, only complaint inside door handles in odd spot

Better than Expected
By Jeffro35744 on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Awesome Truck, I traded in a Toyota Tundra because I needed something a little larger. I hesitated to buy a GM ,but after the test drive I thought I would take a chance. WOW!!!! If this is a sign of how far Detroit has come I will never buy foreign again!!! The Power, The Room, The Ride, The build quality and lack of rattles is awesome. Highly Recommend!!!!!! I would recommend the 5.3 though.

Need better Quality
By T.Longino on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I repair many vehicles in my area. I have always been a GM owner, But GM is getting to much electronic junk on their vehicles. The GM dealers are having trouble keeping them running. Delphi company is killing GM. Vehicles need to be rated by serviceability.Check the hours it takes to replace a/c evaporator core in new trucks. I tell my customers to check labor time on most frequent replaced parts. Thank you

No grunt!
By WingPi1 on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The 4.3 V6 is a total disaster when it comes to engines. No power and poor fuel milage. Hey, I could have gotten a V8! Other than that, it's a nice truck. My wife's Corvette gets to 60MPH in about 4 seconds and tops out at 176 MPH. ON trips, we've gotten as high as 33.5 MPG. Around town, she gets22-27.

The Greatest Truck Ever
By OhioTexan1 on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I am satisfied with every detail of my new Chey Silverado. If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase this truck again.

Excellent Truck
By halovaulter on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I bought my truck in May 31 2003 and have put 6000 miles on my truck. The truck runs great, its quiet, and smooth. I got the V8 4.8L option and it gives me all the performance and power I need. Have only had a squeaking door.

silverado rating
By john faso on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

i got my dream truck!! a 2003 chevy silverado and i'm loving every minute of it. its absolutely perfest!

Unreliable
By Fed up on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Constant engine, transmission problems. Also alot of exhaust noise.