2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews 7

2003 Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
2003 Chevy LT
By Oompa2002

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a really nice truck. Power from the 5.3 V8 is excellent as I don't find it difficult passing up slow cars. The interior is accomidating as are the steering wheel controls. Almost every button/switch lights up and headlamps provide great visability. Bose sound system is wonderful. Heated seats warm up quick and provide extra comfort during cold winter days. As for fuel comsuption, well it is a truck and it does comsume a lot of fuel. I average 14 mpg in the summer and about 17mpg in the winter. My biggest complaint thus far is build quality. There are quite a few rattles and squeeks, which are VERY annoying.

Favorite Features

Power of V8, Bose six disc sound system, XM radio, heated and memmory captin chairs, lighted steering wheel controls, climate control, leather interior, auto headlamps, turn signal and auto down side mirrors, and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality, no rattles or squeeks! Improve gas mileage,or at least be honest about posted MPG figures on window sticker. Improve brakes. The climate control should start in recirculation mode during startup. Rear view mirror needs to dim darker.

My 03 SS
By GaryC69Z

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I drive my SS 5 - 6 days a week. I really enjoy that GM feel'n every time I stand on the throttle. I traded a 2000 Silverado and was dreading the fuel ecomomy drop between the two but to my suprise I am getting 16.5 mpg like clockwork.

Favorite Features

Permormance mostly. The interior is classy and the stance is intimidating.

Suggested Improvements

Change the cat eye headlights, the 2000 models looked much better. Change the drive from AWD to on demand 4WD.... to help gas milage. Up the HP from the factory enough to bust those "other" 2 trucks...

Clunks and Knocks
By ScrewGM

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The tranmission clunks and the engine knocks but hey GM says that's normal. I'm joining the class action lawsuit against GM for building these pieces of junk and then screwing their customers by telling us "it's normal" and refusing to remedy the problems. They must think we all are a bunch of morons. Cherolet: "Like a Knock" "See the USA in your Clukrolet".

Favorite Features

Nice ride

Suggested Improvements

Design and build a transmission that doesn't clunk and an engine that doesn't knoick. And then hope that the thousands of customers you've screwed will give you another chance. Goodbye GM Hello Ford or Chrysler/Dodge

Vrrrooooommm!!!
By jgar58

great power, tranny sucks

Favorite Features

Bose system ; step side looks sharp

Suggested Improvements

smoother tranny..... acts sluggish when hot

Chevy Saddness
By Pmont

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

While vehicle was still in warranty I noticed that the vehicle was using oil when cranking. Dealer oil consumption tests showed the engine was using 1 to 2 quarts of oil for every 3 to 4k miles driven. Chevrolet said usage of up to 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is within spec. They are essentially saying use of three to four quarts of oil between my normal changes is within spec. Chevrolet was not interested in any goodwill deal to repair the deficiency. After purchasing many GM vehicles over the years, I must say I am extremely dissappointed in Chevrolet's lack of customer service and desire to back up their products. That's my last Chevy.

Favorite Features

Good handling in wet conditions. Good performance from 4.8 L v-8. Handles payload well. Interior dash/panel well arranged.

Suggested Improvements

Realistic oil consumption specs. Stand by product by working with consumer to provide necessary repairs. Also, non leather seats should be elevated so driver sits higher.

One BadSS
By thoneycutt

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best looking & performing pick-up Chevy has ever built. It really turns heads. Enough said!

Favorite Features

20's & lowered body

Suggested Improvements

AWD optional, supercharger and duals

Grreat
By Lupe Vela

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Very good and reliable

Best GM since my first in 1964
By TexasCoins.com

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I have had what appears to be the worst GM vehicles ever produced (excluding my Corvettes)since my fist new one in 1964. My first aggrivation was the always hesistating "73 LeMans (5.7L); Next came the "5.7L" Diesel nightmare; and the never ending problematic Safari Van. They finally got their act together with this 4.8L Silvarado Truck. I cannot give enough praise. Everything works, AND VERY WELL. Great performance ! Great economy ! Great looks ! Thanks GM. I nneded that.

Favorite Features

Exceptional performance, greast fuel economy, superior "Factory" sound system.

Suggested Improvements

DO NOT CHANGE IT. Do Not Ruin a Good Thing.

TRANSMISSION TROUBLE
By TERRY

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE WITH THIS TRUCK SINCE I PURCHASED IT FROM LINDSAY CHEVY,DUMFRIES VA. IT WAS IN THE SHOP FOR 25 OF THE FIRST 30 DAYS THAT I OWNED IT. TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS, THEY COULD NOT FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG, SO THEY PUT IN A NEW TRANNY. BEEN BACK SEVERAL TIMES WITH IT. SAME PROBLEMS AGAIN. SO THEY HAVE IT NOW MAYBE A NEW TRANNY AGAIN. SO GOOD LUCK

Suggested Improvements

DO SOMETHING WITH THE TRANSMISSION

MAC REVIEW
By macattack57

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best riding trucks I have ever had when I can get it away from my wife who loves to drive it more than her SUV.

Favorite Features

The ride

Suggested Improvements

add center cup holers for the rear seating area. increase fuel economy