Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Perfect for a Truck
By Joe!

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 4 years and have put 71000 miles on it so far. I have yet to have any major problems with this truck. Also most of the minor problems were covered with in the 36000 mile warranty. The most recent and most annoying problems have been with the electrical system. It seems the truck has developed a short some where that no one can find. It keeps blowing the fuse for the driver seat and passenger window. I also have a tail light and running head light that goes on and off.

Favorite Features

Good power. Much better transmission than the 2000 line. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve electrical system. It really needs better tires from factory.

Good Truck
By John

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my truck since May 2003. I haven't had any problems except the throttle body had to be cleaned under warranty and the intermediate steering shaft had to be fixed under warranty. Otherwise this truck has been very fun and useful and totally reliable. I plan to keep it a long time! Gas consumption surprisingly good!

Favorite Features

I like the 385 zlbs of torque. Good auto-climate control, comfortable seats, good paint, good build quality, seat heaters, good truck, looks good, no problems towing anything.

Suggested Improvements

19 way BMW seats. Stock stereo a little lacking bass and features. Ride a little bumpy on certain freeway spots. Center front seat needed, power windows slow,

GM Junk
By Rod

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The problems on this Silverado are numerous. The biggest are the brakes. You need to push the pedal to the floor in order to get the truck to stop and sometimes that doesn't do it. In less than 30,000 miles I have had the steering column greased, then replaced. Heater replaced, and power window motor replaced. These are annoying, but the brakes are dangerous.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks pretty good, and it gets decent mpg for a truck

Suggested Improvements

Fix the braakes.

Very happy with '03 Silverado
By RHBinDFW

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had only one minor problem with my truck, more of a nuisance actually. The steering shaft's tenon-and-spline compression joint requires additional grease packing to minimize some minor knocking noises on bumpy roads. Overall, a solid, reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable cab, great ride for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the headrest came up more. I'm a tall driver.

Most Uncomfortable
By Mark of MS

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I loved everything about this truck, except the seat gives the most uncomfortable ride of any vehicle I've ever owned or ridden in. I could never get comfortable in the driver's seat, not even on short trips. I couldn't stand to drive the truck anymore so traded it in. I did get an awesome trade on it (300 over Blue Book), so that's certainly a plus. I was very disappointed in the comfort level of this truck. It drives awesome, it's quiet, and I never had one problem with it. If only the seat was even somewhat comfortable I would have kept it for much, much longer.

Favorite Features

Everything but the seat. This is a great truck, but Chevy, do something with the dang seats.

Suggested Improvements

Find somebody to design seats that are actually comfortable, and I will certainly purchase another one. I'm staying away until then.