Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Junk!
By bigkuz87

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned a lot of GM products over the years, 6 Chevrolet pickups to be exact. An 81, 83, 84, 87, 95, and 98, all great trucks that took one heck of a beating from me. My seventh pickup, a 2003 Z71 is by far the cheapest made pickup I have ever seen. I can't even think about beating on it, for it wouldn't survive. I bought it with 40000 miles, it now has 66000. I've replaced both front wheel bearings, the brakes(rear twice), transmission, two alignments, instrument panel cluster, radio, tie rods, and now it has a growling sound that drives me crazy. This will be the last GM vehicle that I will ever buy!

Comfortable cab, great seats

Try to build a quality and dependable product

POJ
By rod munch

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Real bad build quality. The brakes are horrible - expect to replace all rotors and pads especially the back every 20,000 miles. Items replaced under warrenty: Steering column (twice); passenger window motor + track; heater element. Here is what went after warrenty: anti-lock brake sensor (40,000 miles) ~ $250; water pump (48,000 miles) ~ $450; the steering column that was replaced twice is cluncking again. Numerous other defects too small to mention. This truck is literally garbage.

Decent gas mileage for a 4wd

After 80 years in business, please hire someone who can design brakes.

What is this?
By Dbruce

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I am or was a loyal Chevrolet customer. Well i'm sad to say that this truck has changed my mind. I have had multiple problems with it. From tail light to water pump. The quality of my 91' was way better. The worst part of it was when the warrenty ran out ( it had 36200 miles and they wanted to charge me for fixing a problem the hadn't fixed in the past) Chevrolet decided not to stand by their product. Really disapointing, well Toyota here I come.

It did have a good ride when it was in for repair.

The cup holders need to be reworked.

Great Choice in Trucks
By Truck Owner

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I wanted a full size truck in 2WD that was good on gas and served me well everyday. This has been it. With over 120,000 miles it has given me zero trouble. Passengers comment frequently on it's roomy and comfortable interior - even in the back seat; probably the best bench in the industry. With an average of 18mpg, it's no eco-car, but compared to it's 4WD bretheren, it's awesome. That goes for 4WD mid-size trucks too (at 16mpg). Good looks, solid build, dependable - what more do you want?

Smooth ride and roomy interior. The folding rear bench allows for huge interior storage space if required. Decent gas mileage for a full size truck.

2003 Silverado
By Tom s

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

No maintenance issues. This truck is more comfortable to drive than any of my cars. I towed a trailer with a used car across country and got over 17 miles to the gallon. Most of that trip was on two lane roads and through towns.

Excellent acceleration. Solid ride and feel. Quiet (no road or air noise). Auto volume on radio works better than others i have heard.

Power windows in the back.