2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 6.0L V8 AWD 4-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed - (43 reviews )
2003 Silverado SS: Fun and Functional
By Bryan C on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Okay guys, here's the real scoop on SS performance. I'm just back from Palm Springs where I hauled my 23 foot travel trailer 120 miles with my new SS. 12.9 mpg while pulling 2 tons+ of trailer (and I wasn't even trying to be conservative!). I set the cruise control at 60 mph, pushed on the trailering button and let it go on its own. To get that kind of performance out of a vehicle thats rated at 13 mpg city and 17 mpg highway is awesome! My personal modifications: electric brake control (for trailering), SnugTop solid tonneau cover and carpet kit to the bed. Now, all I've left to do is tint the windows!

THIS THING ROCKS
By JAKE BROOKS on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

THE THING I LIKE ABOUT THE SS ITS AWD LOOKS AND ITS ALL 1 COLOR

brand new
By east on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great styling, satisfactory handling

Phoenix SS
By Lee2 on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I think this vehicle is light years better than my old 1999 stock 1500 Silverado. Except for the ride (which is very truck like) it handles very well. Almost European car like. It has lots of power but I don't understand GM's reasoning behind not offering a supercharger (at the very least, an option). This is, afterall, an SS. When you water down the name you hurt the image.

Silverado SS: Excellent all around truck
By T Molchany on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I picked up my Silverado SS a week ago today and I am very pleased I decided on this truck. Yes, the Lightning is faster (how many Lightning owners actually have gone 140MPH?)but this truck balances performance, comfort and useability better than anything else available today. I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality and design. The paint is outstanding, the interior details are spot on and the creature comforts are better than expected. The Bose stereo is crisp and clear. You get quite a few lucks in this truck and to be honest, that's something I like. I traded a 2001 Corvette ZO6 for my SS and I'm glad I did. Bottom line: I'm a happy SS owner.

My Silverado SS
By pcjunki on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Of all the hot trucks this one satisfied all of my desires. Fast, great looking, functional, can carry more than two people comfortably, able to really carry something in the bed and tow at the same time.

The Silverado SS Kicks Ass
By kurt13 on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Best truck ever, all around great speed, control and its not like the other sport tucks, it can actually pull a trailer.

bad bow-tie
By mac daddy on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is built for fun. The lightning will not come out with 500 ponies, it will back to the 380-390hp or what ever it is. Supercharger on a chevy and see what the numbers say. The short wheel base model for next year with a supercharger will blow a lightning out of the water, just watch and see. The 500 ponies on the ford is a concept, and we all know how concepts work. Ford is scared to produce a truck with 500 ponies, watch and see, it will be back to the small 5.4 and that little supercharger.

03 SS
By rmcswain on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The best all-round truck on the road. Great looks and styling, plenty of power and AWD to boot. More features than I have ever seen on a truck. Fit and finish is excellent. Low profile, 20 inch tires and wheels, monochromatic paint give this SS a mystique unmatched by most vehicles. Gas mileage is very good for this type truck.

Silverado SS
By dcairns on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Rather pricey, but it has every gadget in the Chevy parts bin. The only thing missing is excess power I wanted. Sadly that is still Ford's domain. There is plenty of power, great cornering and AWD for sure traction. The ride is firm but smooth and generally comfortable. There is a harmonic bouncing on some concrete freeways. Cab noise is very low. The rear view mirror is a bit low for me, blocking forward view at the horizon line. The sun visor in the side position, blocks too much of my view left. The truck has a solid feel to it and I have found no flaws in the exterior metal work or paint. The styling is well suited for the SS and looks great.