Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Most Uncomfortable
By Mark of MS

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I loved everything about this truck, except the seat gives the most uncomfortable ride of any vehicle I've ever owned or ridden in. I could never get comfortable in the driver's seat, not even on short trips. I couldn't stand to drive the truck anymore so traded it in. I did get an awesome trade on it (300 over Blue Book), so that's certainly a plus. I was very disappointed in the comfort level of this truck. It drives awesome, it's quiet, and I never had one problem with it. If only the seat was even somewhat comfortable I would have kept it for much, much longer.

Favorite Features

Everything but the seat. This is a great truck, but Chevy, do something with the dang seats.

Suggested Improvements

Find somebody to design seats that are actually comfortable, and I will certainly purchase another one. I'm staying away until then.

Unsafe to drive
By G. Allen

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Transmission pauses after coasting or when starting out. After coasting causes a heavy jerk on driveshaft and rearend. Dealer put rubber in springs to damper clunk. When turning a corner the pause in the transmission causes a sudden acceleration that causes the rear wheels to loose traction putting the truck into a sideways slide causing loss of control of vehicle at times. Also the small V-8 that GM puts in this truck has piston slap that the dealer says is "normal". I call it a design flaw. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart before I decide to get rid of it. I'm a GM employee, and I beleive in supporting my paycheck source, but I believe in getting a quality product for my buck.

Favorite Features

Great interior, Great exterior design, Good milage

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problems and piston slap.

First Truck
By Lisa

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical about getting a truck, but after driving this one I would recommend it to anyone. The ride is smooth and the gas mileage is way better than that listed on the sticker. The resale value is also excellent.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfort, dependability and price.

Suggested Improvements

Better traction, better tires that come standard with the vehicle.

Best truck I ever owned
By Andrew Trumbauer

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is, by far, superior to any other truck in its class when it comes to driving comfort and in-cab options. The quadrasteer option is unbelievable, and I use it every single day. Just feel that is was marketed to the wrong crowd (1500 chasis) All in all my next truck will again, without a doubt, be a Chevy except this time I'm steppin' up to a crew cab diesel! But I'm sure gonna miss the quadrasteer!

Favorite Features

Quadrasteer, Leather, Instrument panel display

Suggested Improvements

Ext. cab doors make alot of squeaks

Standard, plain vanilla work truck
By Dan R.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Only options were automatic trans., HD suspension (Z85) and larger tires. 4.3 liter V6 and 3.42 axle were adequate almost all the time. Occasionally towed a 2,000 ATV trailer and it did well, but I would say the 3.73 axle would have been better with the six. Got as much as 21 mpg on hwy. Very bright headlights, comfortable ride. Dash looks cheap and flimsy, with painted plastic surfaces everywhere. Problems I had in 2 years were ABS module failure, AC compressor failure, and steering intermediate shaft clunk (common problem!), all repaired under warranty.

Favorite Features

V6 is surprisingly powerful on the low RPM end. Runs out of breath a bit if you need high speed passing, but normally not a bad choice if you do no heavy towing.

Suggested Improvements

Front end is ugly, period. What were they thinking.... The brakes on this year are terrible! You would think that rear disks would be good, but NO. Almost dangerously underpowered brakes!