Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Excellent Reliability!
By jdeluca1

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Silverado and love it. It has everything I want in a truck. The Bose sound and 6disc in-dash stereo is great. Very comfortable inside. I bought this truck used with 36k miles on it. Since then--in the past 3 years, now it is up to 106k miles on it----still no problems. The only complaint I have was the face of the radio. The paint or numbers would peel off. The other thing I love is how much this truck holds its value. Unlike other cars--it holds its value really well. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Bose surround sound, 6disc in-dash CD changer, push button 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

The face of the radio needs a redesign as your fingernails can peel off the paint on the radio.

Excellent Reliability!
By jdeluca1

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Favorite Features

Bose surround sound, 6disc in-dash CD changer, push button 4WD.

Great truck
By chev_03_Z71

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used with 69,000 miles 2.5 years ago. I now have 115,000 miles with no problems. I regularly tow a 3000 lb ski boat and have a truck camper in the bed and the 5.3 L has no problem handling it.

Favorite Features

Bose sound. Smooth ride. 18 mpg on road trips (without trailer/boat)

Suggested Improvements

Better sealing rear windows.

2003 Z71 2DR
By llogan

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this 2003 Z71 2-dr since new. It currently has 134,000 miles. No complaints about reliability with just basic maintenance. Original tires only lasted about 40,000 miles. Replacements have lasted about 80,000 so far. Only parts that have broken on me are two rear U-joints,water pump seal seeps, and the battery died after 7 years. Clunking noise from steering column is a little annoying, but apparently common for this model. Under-body rust is a problem even though I regularly wash the underside of the truck. 4x4 system has been rock solid in snow, ice, mud, you name it. Tows/hauls with no problems although trailer brakes highly recommended for heavy loads/high speeds.

Favorite Features

4x4 system, 5.3 LS style V-8, reliability, cost of ownership relatively low for a full size pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Put on better tires, electronics become unreliable after several years (gauges, radio, CD player, turn signals), and under-body should have been coated/treated better from the factory. This, after all, is a pickup and just might be used more places than city streets(sand, rock, etc take a toll).

Good truck
By ART

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 185,000 miles on it I pull a small trailer for work and have no problems. Yes there are parts that need to be replaced like starters, plugs, wires, tires and brakes. great truck.

Favorite Features

all

Suggested Improvements

to open back doors it a tight fit if your in a parking lot with cars parked next to you.