Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

2003 Z71 2DR
By llogan

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this 2003 Z71 2-dr since new. It currently has 134,000 miles. No complaints about reliability with just basic maintenance. Original tires only lasted about 40,000 miles. Replacements have lasted about 80,000 so far. Only parts that have broken on me are two rear U-joints,water pump seal seeps, and the battery died after 7 years. Clunking noise from steering column is a little annoying, but apparently common for this model. Under-body rust is a problem even though I regularly wash the underside of the truck. 4x4 system has been rock solid in snow, ice, mud, you name it. Tows/hauls with no problems although trailer brakes highly recommended for heavy loads/high speeds.

Favorite Features

4x4 system, 5.3 LS style V-8, reliability, cost of ownership relatively low for a full size pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Put on better tires, electronics become unreliable after several years (gauges, radio, CD player, turn signals), and under-body should have been coated/treated better from the factory. This, after all, is a pickup and just might be used more places than city streets(sand, rock, etc take a toll).

I drive it like I stole it
By Ed

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a contractor in Northern Vermont and this is my work truck. Cost 21k new w/ auto 4wd and air. 185,000 miles of merciless beating and still running hard. Work cap full of tools and ladders weigh enough to need helper springs just to get it to ride normal, and I keep this kind of weight in it 24/7. I regularly tow my dual axle dump trailer full of construction debris, and the 4.8 liter does fine. The thing eats brakes, but Chevy does make a 3/4 ton. The paint is peeling a little where there are dents or scrapes, but no real rust-the galvanize is holding up well. The steering clunk was fixed under warranty and I've spent about $3k on repairs and maintenance

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability, personality

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes and less rusting of the undercarriage. How bout that same galvanize that's on the sheet metal on the frame and drivetrain parts?

Good, reliable truck
By robis

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my truck for about 55,000 miles. I purchased it certified used about 3 yrs ago. I am about to turn 100,000 miles and the only problems I have had with it is a dead battery and a broken power window motor. The truck runs well and is ultra reliable. I wish the fuel economy was better (I think I get around 14 mpg). I feel like I will get another 100,000 miles out of it before it needs to be replaced. "American" car companies build trucks well...its what they do best in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chevy or GM truck again, but I would aim for an extended cab for the extra room and convenience. Overall, I have been very happy with my purchase & recommend it.

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy, prettier interior/better finish quality

Not great, not bad
By jhunter

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 6 years now - 122,000 miles. Not a horrible truck but had problems right from the beginning. Interior air flow "gate" made noises when set to 100% dash flow. Clunking noises developed in steering/front suspension when turning sharp corners. Then the instrument panel gages started failing (water temp and oil pressure). Had it checked out - it was the gauges. Now getting the "wipers won't turn off" problem that GM trucks have had since 1994. Poor elec design with no desire from GM to fix. Funny that GM issued a recall for the tailgate cable but won't fix or do a recall for problems that cost real money such as these. This is probably my LAST GM product.

Favorite Features

Good mileage

Suggested Improvements

Crappy interior. Poor reliability.

Great Truck!
By sixty8camaro

I have over 110,000 miles on my p/u and have had only one part break ($25 U-joint + 1 hour of my time to replace). I'd say that's great reliability! Still runs close to as strong as when I bought it and can pull a loaded trailer (roughly 5,000 lbs) with no problems.

Favorite Features

4-wheel drive works great. Never been stuck in the mud, snow, water, ice, or sand.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics seem flakey. CD player randomly shuts off from time to time. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance on 12 hour drives. Wish I would have purchased an extended cab or crew cab when I bought it.