2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
2003 Z71 2DR
By llogan on 08/16/10 11:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this 2003 Z71 2-dr since new. It currently has 134,000 miles. No complaints about reliability with just basic maintenance. Original tires only lasted about 40,000 miles. Replacements have lasted about 80,000 so far. Only parts that have broken on me are two rear U-joints,water pump seal seeps, and the battery died after 7 years. Clunking noise from steering column is a little annoying, but apparently common for this model. Under-body rust is a problem even though I regularly wash the underside of the truck. 4x4 system has been rock solid in snow, ice, mud, you name it. Tows/hauls with no problems although trailer brakes highly recommended for heavy loads/high speeds.

I drive it like I stole it
By Ed on 05/02/10 20:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a contractor in Northern Vermont and this is my work truck. Cost 21k new w/ auto 4wd and air. 185,000 miles of merciless beating and still running hard. Work cap full of tools and ladders weigh enough to need helper springs just to get it to ride normal, and I keep this kind of weight in it 24/7. I regularly tow my dual axle dump trailer full of construction debris, and the 4.8 liter does fine. The thing eats brakes, but Chevy does make a 3/4 ton. The paint is peeling a little where there are dents or scrapes, but no real rust-the galvanize is holding up well. The steering clunk was fixed under warranty and I've spent about $3k on repairs and maintenance

Good, reliable truck
By robis on 09/13/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my truck for about 55,000 miles. I purchased it certified used about 3 yrs ago. I am about to turn 100,000 miles and the only problems I have had with it is a dead battery and a broken power window motor. The truck runs well and is ultra reliable. I wish the fuel economy was better (I think I get around 14 mpg). I feel like I will get another 100,000 miles out of it before it needs to be replaced. "American" car companies build trucks well...its what they do best in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chevy or GM truck again, but I would aim for an extended cab for the extra room and convenience. Overall, I have been very happy with my purchase & recommend it.

Not great, not bad
By jhunter on 05/29/09 08:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for 6 years now - 122,000 miles. Not a horrible truck but had problems right from the beginning. Interior air flow "gate" made noises when set to 100% dash flow. Clunking noises developed in steering/front suspension when turning sharp corners. Then the instrument panel gages started failing (water temp and oil pressure). Had it checked out - it was the gauges. Now getting the "wipers won't turn off" problem that GM trucks have had since 1994. Poor elec design with no desire from GM to fix. Funny that GM issued a recall for the tailgate cable but won't fix or do a recall for problems that cost real money such as these. This is probably my LAST GM product.

Great Truck!
By sixty8camaro on 05/12/08 21:12 PM (PDT)

I have over 110,000 miles on my p/u and have had only one part break ($25 U-joint + 1 hour of my time to replace). I'd say that's great reliability! Still runs close to as strong as when I bought it and can pull a loaded trailer (roughly 5,000 lbs) with no problems.

Most Uncomfortable
By Mark of MS on 07/13/06 17:30 PM (PDT)

I loved everything about this truck, except the seat gives the most uncomfortable ride of any vehicle I've ever owned or ridden in. I could never get comfortable in the driver's seat, not even on short trips. I couldn't stand to drive the truck anymore so traded it in. I did get an awesome trade on it (300 over Blue Book), so that's certainly a plus. I was very disappointed in the comfort level of this truck. It drives awesome, it's quiet, and I never had one problem with it. If only the seat was even somewhat comfortable I would have kept it for much, much longer.

Unsafe to drive
By G. Allen on 02/03/06 21:00 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Transmission pauses after coasting or when starting out. After coasting causes a heavy jerk on driveshaft and rearend. Dealer put rubber in springs to damper clunk. When turning a corner the pause in the transmission causes a sudden acceleration that causes the rear wheels to loose traction putting the truck into a sideways slide causing loss of control of vehicle at times. Also the small V-8 that GM puts in this truck has piston slap that the dealer says is "normal". I call it a design flaw. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart before I decide to get rid of it. I'm a GM employee, and I beleive in supporting my paycheck source, but I believe in getting a quality product for my buck.

First Truck
By Lisa on 01/18/06 12:47 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical about getting a truck, but after driving this one I would recommend it to anyone. The ride is smooth and the gas mileage is way better than that listed on the sticker. The resale value is also excellent.

Best truck I ever owned
By Andrew Trumbauer on 12/09/05 09:51 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is, by far, superior to any other truck in its class when it comes to driving comfort and in-cab options. The quadrasteer option is unbelievable, and I use it every single day. Just feel that is was marketed to the wrong crowd (1500 chasis) All in all my next truck will again, without a doubt, be a Chevy except this time I'm steppin' up to a crew cab diesel! But I'm sure gonna miss the quadrasteer!

Standard, plain vanilla work truck
By Dan R. on 12/01/05 17:43 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Only options were automatic trans., HD suspension (Z85) and larger tires. 4.3 liter V6 and 3.42 axle were adequate almost all the time. Occasionally towed a 2,000 ATV trailer and it did well, but I would say the 3.73 axle would have been better with the six. Got as much as 21 mpg on hwy. Very bright headlights, comfortable ride. Dash looks cheap and flimsy, with painted plastic surfaces everywhere. Problems I had in 2 years were ABS module failure, AC compressor failure, and steering intermediate shaft clunk (common problem!), all repaired under warranty.