Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Base Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

I love this truck!
By Pat

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

At 170,000 miles now, this truck runs like new. The 4.8 motor has plenty of power, and still gets upwards of 22mpg - although it doesn't do as well in town driving (maybe 14-15 mpg). But compared to other full size trucks, that don't get as good mpg, and some have less power, this truck can't be beat.

Highway gas mpg 20-22mpg at 75 mph. Easy cruise control. Tough transmission. The engine still sounds new, from start to turning the truck off. Very smooth shift, plenty of power.

Seats area little uncomfortable on long trips. The center console push button breaks easily, and not cheap to replace. Fuel gauge in tank stops working on almost all these GM trucks around 100,000 miles and costs lots to fix (even though the pump still works fine). The pump and gauge are one unit.

Great Value, Reliable Truck
By Carolinaguy

I bought this truck with 30K miles, and have driven it to 80K with not a single problem. I regularly get 20 MPG on mostly highway driving, and it is comfortable on longer trips. I've also owned a Ford F150 and Ford Ranger, and it's unreal how much more room this extended cab has in it. I can't imagine how much the double cab has. This has been a great ownership experience and I love this truck. I see many with 150-200K miles so I look forward to owning this one for a while.

Mileage for full size V8 is impressive, good ride, towing ability and engine feels strong.

Nothing, bang for the buck and that's what I was looking for.

My first truck
By My first truck

The inside of the extended cab really surprised me, I'm 6'2" and i fit nice in the backseat. Had hauled heavy, heavy stuff and it was like it loved working and this is only a V6. I used this also on vacations, 8 to 10 hour drives, with two kids in the back. It's a ready to use for all occasions.

Works like it wants to. Lots of storage in the cab under the back seat and doors. 22 mpg on the highway.

Needed cruise control for the long drives.

2003 Silverado
By silverado

I was looking for a reliable fullsize pickup that would get good gas mileage. Turns out, I should have just gone for the V-8. Overall, this is a very nice pickup, and I have had no problems so far. But, for a V-6 2wd pickup, I was expecting better than 17 mpg. The truck is comfortable, and is large enough to use as a family vehicle. It has some really nice features for a base model, like the dual zone climate control, cruise, and CD player. Everything is well laid out and easy to use. The V- 6 has adequate power to get around, but is nothing to brag about. Overall, I would recommend this truck, but would suggest one of the bigger engines.

Comfortable, well laid out interior. Exterior appearance. Smooth, quiet ride.

Better fuel mileage for a V-6, or just drop it and have the V-8's. Could do without all the electronic controls for everything (the dealer has to program it for anything you change). An armrest for the split bench seat. Fewer squeaks and rattles (minor but annoying).

2003 Silverado V6
By gggcag

I wanted an economical full-size extended cab pickup. This truck has the 4.3 liter V6 and delivers 20+ MPG and still has adequate performance. I have now owned it one year with no problems. It rides very well and is comfortable.

Looks and fuel economy with the V6.

Center front seat back should fold down so it could be used as an armrest.