2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Excellent Reliability!
By jdeluca1 on 01/05/11 09:30 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 4th Silverado and love it. It has everything I want in a truck. The Bose sound and 6disc in-dash stereo is great. Very comfortable inside. I bought this truck used with 36k miles on it. Since then--in the past 3 years, now it is up to 106k miles on it----still no problems. The only complaint I have was the face of the radio. The paint or numbers would peel off. The other thing I love is how much this truck holds its value. Unlike other cars--it holds its value really well. Great truck!

Excellent Reliability!
By jdeluca1 on 01/05/11 09:30 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great truck
By chev_03_Z71 on 08/27/10 05:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used with 69,000 miles 2.5 years ago. I now have 115,000 miles with no problems. I regularly tow a 3000 lb ski boat and have a truck camper in the bed and the 5.3 L has no problem handling it.

2003 Z71 2DR
By llogan on 08/16/10 11:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Have had this 2003 Z71 2-dr since new. It currently has 134,000 miles. No complaints about reliability with just basic maintenance. Original tires only lasted about 40,000 miles. Replacements have lasted about 80,000 so far. Only parts that have broken on me are two rear U-joints,water pump seal seeps, and the battery died after 7 years. Clunking noise from steering column is a little annoying, but apparently common for this model. Under-body rust is a problem even though I regularly wash the underside of the truck. 4x4 system has been rock solid in snow, ice, mud, you name it. Tows/hauls with no problems although trailer brakes highly recommended for heavy loads/high speeds.

Good truck
By ART on 08/03/10 06:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I now have 185,000 miles on it I pull a small trailer for work and have no problems. Yes there are parts that need to be replaced like starters, plugs, wires, tires and brakes. great truck.

Love my truck!
By Michael on 06/13/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got a great deal on this 2003 LT 1500 Silverado, Took it on its first day trip and all I can say is I love my truck. I averaged 19 mpg on the highway, with the A/C running the whole time. This truck has the smoothest ride I have ever experienced in a full size truck, and its a Z71 4x4. I looked at a lot of trucks before I made the decision to by this beauty, and all I can say is that I feel I made the best choice. If I had to make another choice Dodge was a close 2nd and Ford trucks didn't even come close especially when it comes to fit, finish, comfort and ride quality. So if your thinking of buying a used Chevy 1500, look for an LT and you won't be sorry.

I drive it like I stole it
By Ed on 05/02/10 20:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I'm a contractor in Northern Vermont and this is my work truck. Cost 21k new w/ auto 4wd and air. 185,000 miles of merciless beating and still running hard. Work cap full of tools and ladders weigh enough to need helper springs just to get it to ride normal, and I keep this kind of weight in it 24/7. I regularly tow my dual axle dump trailer full of construction debris, and the 4.8 liter does fine. The thing eats brakes, but Chevy does make a 3/4 ton. The paint is peeling a little where there are dents or scrapes, but no real rust-the galvanize is holding up well. The steering clunk was fixed under warranty and I've spent about $3k on repairs and maintenance

Ol' Reliable
By Bud Utecht on 04/13/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

As a contractor, we work this truck hard, tow with it, haul with it, and it has never let us down. Comfortable, good ride, nice features. As with all GM trucks of this era the speedometer leaves a lot to be desired. We do have 170,000 miles on this truck. Still rock solid.

I love this truck!
By Pat on 10/14/09 23:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

At 170,000 miles now, this truck runs like new. The 4.8 motor has plenty of power, and still gets upwards of 22mpg - although it doesn't do as well in town driving (maybe 14-15 mpg). But compared to other full size trucks, that don't get as good mpg, and some have less power, this truck can't be beat.

Good, reliable truck
By robis on 09/13/09 20:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my truck for about 55,000 miles. I purchased it certified used about 3 yrs ago. I am about to turn 100,000 miles and the only problems I have had with it is a dead battery and a broken power window motor. The truck runs well and is ultra reliable. I wish the fuel economy was better (I think I get around 14 mpg). I feel like I will get another 100,000 miles out of it before it needs to be replaced. "American" car companies build trucks well...its what they do best in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chevy or GM truck again, but I would aim for an extended cab for the extra room and convenience. Overall, I have been very happy with my purchase & recommend it.