This is the worst truck I have ever had
By Jim on
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)
This truck is a joke as far as I am concerned. It has a terrible clunking noise when up shifting into second gear and also down shifting. The dealership has checked this out and I have a document from GM that says this is normal clunking. (Did not clunk into gear when I bought it). Tough to resell now. Also now when cold starting there is clattering going on under the hood. This goes away after a few minutes but again the dealership says this is normal clattering. HMM!! did not clatter when I bought it. I will not buy another GM truck as long as I live.
Favorite Features
None
Suggested Improvements
Stand by your product and don't come up with silly excuses when there are troubles and customer concerns.
By jim77777
on 01/30/13 22:42 PM (PST)

I assure you that a clunking sound is not normal in a 2002 Silverado. I suggest you go to a different dealer or even contact a representative at GM. Don't let some lame service representative give you some B.S. If you continue to have no results go to a independent transmission repair person and have them look at it. I would then submit the bill to GM and if given more B.S. take them to small claims. There is no clunking noise that is normal in a 2002 Chevy Silverado. Don.t get depressed but do not go to the dealer that said this clunking noise is normal! I don't believe you would have to go to that extreme just be positive and go to several dealers if you have to. Each mechanic is different and some no nothing about drive trains and that is probably who wrote that stupid document. Good Luck. Actually the 2002 Silverado has one of the best transmissions available to GM truck owners.

By willmusic4life
on 02/08/11 11:36 AM (PST)

GM makes some of the best trucks out there. I love how people say whatever they want. Maybe you need to take it to a different dealership. Esp if they are the ones that sold you the vehichle. I noticed the fuel economy rating you had. Find me a company that gets better gas mileage on trucks than GM!

By thestig66
on 09/18/13 22:00 PM (PDT)

As far as the shifting concern goes, I would check out an independent shop for their opinion. In my personal experience, when my 2002 5.3L reached 275,000 miles it did begin to shift slightly harder than when it was new, but not to the point where it was anything to be concerned about. As far as the cold starting "clank" goes, it is most like likely just a cold piston "slap" which is very typical among older trucks. It simply happens when an older, worn piston has worn enough that it rattles around slightly when before it has reached operating temperature and has therefore has expanded with temperature and has reached its normal size. This is very typical among vehicles, particularly larger displacement engines, with more than 7 years worth of ware on them. Again, nothing to be worried about. Just let the old girl warm up and take care of her. Most of these GM motors are 200,000+ mile motors and transmissions.