Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado-1500 - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Best Truck I've Ever Driven!
By RegRanger

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Been driving pickups since the mid-70's-this is the best truck I've ever owned! This is a 2002 that I just bought 7/05 with 56K on it. Rides nice and is very quiet. Lots of conveniences. Getting around 17 mph highway with the 5.3 liter. Rear seats have reasonable amount of leg room and comfort too.

Favorite Features

Lots of plug ins, nice console, cd AND cassette player! Heated seats with memory control. Tinted glass. Thermometer in mirror is nice-we get snow, sleet and black ice here in Maine!

Suggested Improvements

Can reach one of the grease fittings on the front linkage very easily-could replace with an angled fitting. Windshield noise at highspeed like bugs hitting the glass?? You may or may not like the leather seats-I find them comfortable but they don't suit my wife quite as well.

Good work truck
By john napierala

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good work truck with fuel economy as stated on the dealer invoice. The 4800 engine has very good acceleration for a truck. The transmission shifts smooth and the transmission tow / haul selection mode is a good feature. The interior has cab noise that seems a little loud. Ride and handling is good loaded or unloaded. First complaint is the cab mounting bolts to the frame were loose and the dealer had to re-torque them. Second complaint is the anti lock brakes activate at speeds below five mph and the brakes then do not work at all. There is now a recall for this problem as stated by the NHTSA.

Favorite Features

V-8 engine, automatic transmission with tow / haul mode.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are four wheel disc and do not stop as well as would be expected. Bench seatfold down center section would be a nice feature.

Chevy's Are the Best
By JAGII

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great all around truck! Very smooth ride. Feels better than driving a car. Interior is comfortable. Awesome power. Everything a truck should be. A few adjustments need to be made though. Otherwise the best truck out there. I tow a boat and have a 5 point wiring hook up, this truck only has a 7 point hook-up. This requires me to buy an adapter. The rear a/c vent is a plus! I think a rear locking differential would have been better than limited slip.

Favorite Features

Power, LT has all the fixings, drives like a luxury car! Handling and steering are excellent! Tows my boat with ease.

Suggested Improvements

The LT needs a better stereo system. More storage space, maybe under the seats. Have the seat fold down on top of a storage compartment. Better towing package. Have the two typical wiring hook ups. The 7 and 5 point hook ups would be great, I have to buy a 5 to 7 adapter. Sliding rear window!

2002 Silverdado
By Steve H

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My 2002 Silverado has been an outstanding truck. I just bought a 6000 LB trailer and it pulls it with ease, however rather slow on big hills and gas mileage is around 10 MPG but that was to be expected. My lease is now up and have decided to buy out the lease.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

None

Best Buy Pickup
By shotgunbill

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a smooth riding, but capable work truck. I have hauled firewood to building materials and everything in between. It beats any other pickup in its class for fuel mileage, yet has enough power to get things done. I think GM's quality has improved a lot over the last ten years. I love the layout of the cab, and the special features. The 4.3 V6 has decent power- low end torque, cruises at the high teens of rpm at 65 mph. It handles well and brakes good. When I trade in my SUV I plan on buying a Tahoe, I hope before they restyle it. While I like the current Chevy over Ford or Dodge , I like the style of the 2002s better.

Favorite Features

Day time ruuning lights, automatic lights when dark. Automatic volume control on the great CD radio system. An all iron engine yes, even the heads are still iron. The tow-haul package, from the botton on the shifter, to the hitch and electical plug in. I even love the little box for jump starts.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage, the engine oil drain dumps oil right on a crossmember - use two drain pans, and the oil filter is hard to get at.