Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

My Silverado
By mike mullins

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

110% do it all truck no matter weather or conditions, small load or large, with no worries. All around truck. Comfort. Hard worker. If you want a gentle beast, why would anyone throw away their money on any other?

Make a Duramax avalailable in 1500 series trucks in all cab and bed configurations

Superior to others
By chevykid

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a black Chevy 4x4, finally got it. I love this truck. It rides great, pulls everything I ask it to, and has a ton of room. The Chevy engines are superior to the Ford and Dodge, and Toyota isn't even an option. I've got 68,000 miles and have never put a dime into it, other than routine maintenance.

Room, highway ride, looks, and the Z71 package

A great engine, but could use a little more low-end grunt

Lifelong Chevy owner - may change
By Kevin

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Average vehicle to drive. 54,000 replaced air conditioning, power window motor. 74,000 rebuilt the transmission, 107,000 rebuilt the transmission. Don't flush the transmission, drop the pan. Only had flushed twice, once at dealer, once at ASE certified. Needed a new tranny within 2 days - both times. Get the 5.3, not 4.8 - no gas savings there. A very disappointed lifelong Chevy owner. I've got a 94 Chevy 4.3L with 300K that runs better than this one.

Make bright light indicator lower in the dash display. With steering wheel tilted down, view of light indicator is obstructed by steering wheel.

Good Truck
By BWHITE

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15,000 miles on it, I now have 45,000 on it 2 years later. I have had no problems with the truck mechanicaly. I tow a ski boat reguarly and fuel economy is only slightly effected. Only problems I have include, the leather seats cracking prematurly, and the dash has a few spots that are chipping. I get better than avertised with fuel economy, i get about 17 mpg city and 20 hwy with the 5.3L V-8. However, I do drive with a light foot and I have a bed cover on the truck. My father has a 2005 4wd Ford F-150 with an idetical bed cover and he gets better gas milage that that, however the chevy seems to handle towing better and is more manuverable.

Power, stereo, driving dynamics, look.

Better paint/rubber on dash, better leather (see what Ford uses it is higher quality).

Love it!
By Kip

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I actually bought this truck used but was the first owner. The dealership used it for parts deliveries so it already had 56000 miles on it in 2002. I test drove several other used trucks with a lot less mileage but they felt ragged out. Before I got off the lot I knew I was going to buy this one. It was very smooth, quiet, did not have one rattle and felt as if it had 0 miles on it. This is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle because I usally get the the "itch" after 1.5 years. Not with this one. It has nearly 130000 miles on it and after some new tires and shocks, it feels brand new again. Still no rattles. Still gets 18-22 mpg on the highway.

Comfortable cabin. I prefer its looks over the current design.

Bad job with the tweeters in the doors. They are dangling again after having them put back in place while under warranty.