2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Last chevy
By Dave on 10/10/06 20:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was trouble free until the transmission gave out. Traded it in three days later, new tranny and all since I refuse to own a vehicle that requires major work with only 51,000 easy miles. I also found the handling kind of loose although that may be typical of this large a vehicle. Otherwise the truck did well.

Chevy continues to make me proud.
By jeffdog9000 on 10/02/06 21:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

After about 5 weeks I took this baby for a 1500 mi. trip. Then a few months later I hooked a heavy double axle horse trailer loaded with a refrigerator and entire churchful of people's belongings and hauled them on my bumper hitch and pulled them with my Vortec-V6 on a 600 miles round trip. I drove 80 mph with the max AC blowing full blast down the interstate. Other than oil changes every 7k miles or so I have not had to do anything to this truck. At 95,000 miles I swear the brakes or belt would need replaced, but it keeps on keep'n on. Not to mention I feel completly safe in my truck!

My Silverado
By mike mullins on 07/09/06 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

110% do it all truck no matter weather or conditions, small load or large, with no worries. All around truck. Comfort. Hard worker. If you want a gentle beast, why would anyone throw away their money on any other?

Superior to others
By chevykid on 06/26/06 19:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Always wanted a black Chevy 4x4, finally got it. I love this truck. It rides great, pulls everything I ask it to, and has a ton of room. The Chevy engines are superior to the Ford and Dodge, and Toyota isn't even an option. I've got 68,000 miles and have never put a dime into it, other than routine maintenance.

Lifelong Chevy owner - may change
By Kevin on 05/08/06 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Average vehicle to drive. 54,000 replaced air conditioning, power window motor. 74,000 rebuilt the transmission, 107,000 rebuilt the transmission. Don't flush the transmission, drop the pan. Only had flushed twice, once at dealer, once at ASE certified. Needed a new tranny within 2 days - both times. Get the 5.3, not 4.8 - no gas savings there. A very disappointed lifelong Chevy owner. I've got a 94 Chevy 4.3L with 300K that runs better than this one.

Good Truck
By BWHITE on 04/19/06 11:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15,000 miles on it, I now have 45,000 on it 2 years later. I have had no problems with the truck mechanicaly. I tow a ski boat reguarly and fuel economy is only slightly effected. Only problems I have include, the leather seats cracking prematurly, and the dash has a few spots that are chipping. I get better than avertised with fuel economy, i get about 17 mpg city and 20 hwy with the 5.3L V-8. However, I do drive with a light foot and I have a bed cover on the truck. My father has a 2005 4wd Ford F-150 with an idetical bed cover and he gets better gas milage that that, however the chevy seems to handle towing better and is more manuverable.

Love it!
By Kip on 04/06/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I actually bought this truck used but was the first owner. The dealership used it for parts deliveries so it already had 56000 miles on it in 2002. I test drove several other used trucks with a lot less mileage but they felt ragged out. Before I got off the lot I knew I was going to buy this one. It was very smooth, quiet, did not have one rattle and felt as if it had 0 miles on it. This is the longest I have ever owned a vehicle because I usally get the the "itch" after 1.5 years. Not with this one. It has nearly 130000 miles on it and after some new tires and shocks, it feels brand new again. Still no rattles. Still gets 18-22 mpg on the highway.

Like My Chevy
By Ken on 03/07/06 14:56 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Truck has run well since purchase. Only problem was weak window motors that were replaced after two years. Basic maintenance and it runs just fine. Piston slap is annoying in extremely cold temperatures until it warms up, but that normally goes away after 30 seconds.

Best Truck I've Ever Driven!
By RegRanger on 11/06/05 18:36 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Been driving pickups since the mid-70's-this is the best truck I've ever owned! This is a 2002 that I just bought 7/05 with 56K on it. Rides nice and is very quiet. Lots of conveniences. Getting around 17 mph highway with the 5.3 liter. Rear seats have reasonable amount of leg room and comfort too.

Good work truck
By john napierala on 08/31/05 10:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good work truck with fuel economy as stated on the dealer invoice. The 4800 engine has very good acceleration for a truck. The transmission shifts smooth and the transmission tow / haul selection mode is a good feature. The interior has cab noise that seems a little loud. Ride and handling is good loaded or unloaded. First complaint is the cab mounting bolts to the frame were loose and the dealer had to re-torque them. Second complaint is the anti lock brakes activate at speeds below five mph and the brakes then do not work at all. There is now a recall for this problem as stated by the NHTSA.